Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectone clarification
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20885&mesg_id=20900
20900, one clarification
Posted by guest, Wed Oct-11-00 03:37 AM
I apologize for the generalization of all white males. I certainly have received excellent coaching and mentoring from a few while males in my tenure with the company. What concerned me most is that the remarks were made by a young white male...someone who has only been with this particular corporation for 2 years. I've been here 12 years. So, you can see my concern that young white males, people who grew up in diverse educational systems and in a time with blacks are more visible in leadership roles, government and media still have these views. A white female from Europe mentioned that this is the perception of many of our colleagues in Europe--the percention that promotions in the U.S. are based on race and gender. She went on to say that Eurpoe on has has 1 Black VP. There are no Asians or Blacks or in Senior Executive roles either. (btw: the one black male vp in Europe is from the U.S).

It's ashame that a person would sum up a persons career advancement as being based on their race or gender. I know several of the black Directors and VPs and I know how hard they have worked. Some of them are single and do not have lives outside of work. Some have lost their marriages due to the demand of their roles. It's a sad commentary, but I believe it needs to be discussed.

I am blessed to have seen members of my own race advance. They have always been willing to give back to the community. But those strives have not come easy and it has not come without a heavy price--and their promotions were not hand outs on a silver platter.

Love and Blessings...