Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectCorporate Empathy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20885&mesg_id=20898
20898, Corporate Empathy
Posted by Soul Brotha, Tue Oct-10-00 04:37 AM
.greetings.

Lady: To say that I empathize with you would be a gross understatement. I have this same convo. from time-to-time with my brother, who also works in the corporate realm & deals with a different, albeit similar, set of angry white folks. He & I often have lunch together & clown at how moneyed white folks make themselves unhappy, despite having lives that the majority of people in this country would sacrifice greatly for. The real side is that these disgruntled white folks feel powerless, so they attempt to deal with their own self-hatred & insecurities by hating on black folks, but check it: this is the American way. Brown people have caught hell forever from the other, and that may never change. For what its worth, I can see this mental disorder for what it is, as we all should condition ourselves to do. Don't misread me though, that understanding does not equate to apathy, but simply a measure to assist in coping with their bombastic behavior.

I've been with this company for nearly 8 years - started in the mailroom as an Affirmative Action hire (company's first black male), and 5 (or so) promotions later, I am a Manager. Nothing like starting from the bottom to provide a crystal-clear perspective on the entire game. But, isn't that the essence of having brown skin in this nation - starting from the bottom & rising? Hopefully, we'll end that cycle for the next generation of sistas & brothas.

As I (& we) continue to rise, the lunacy from white folks will only become worse. The key is to recognize what is and deal in reality. As long as we do that, the Angry.White.(Fe)Males of the world don't stand a chance. Intelligence kicks Ignorance in the ass 99.9% of the time.

.peaceful.