Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectfinal clarification
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20595&mesg_id=20625
20625, final clarification
Posted by shepoet, Mon Oct-23-00 11:00 AM
Koala,

You haven't shared any views...you've pulled things totally out of context in order to play devil's advocate. It aint too amusing and, unfortunately, it does not expose the Koala that Janey described in her post. Too bad, as I would have liked to have met that person. Oh, and in your post describing your motives and what drives you.....please remember that one size does not fit all. If, perhaps, you had taken the time and made the effort to talk, maybe your comments would not be seen as an attack. Believe me, I read your comments to me, and like Scooby Doo, all i could think was "Bargghhh???" Where did all that come from. I still feel you really went waaaaaaaaaaay out of your way with my post.

In reference to your inquiry about the word observation...very slick.:-) No, it is not in the original post. But, in my first post to you, I clarified that my comment was an observation. But it seems, according to you, anything but the original post is discarded--which IMO, makes for an unproductive discussion. You assumed so much about me, feeling some need to try and 'force' me to validate arguments that I feel aren't even there.

Observation: 1. originally, observance, as of laws, customs, etc. 2. a)the act, practice, or power of noticing. b)something noticed.

Will I concede to your comments? No. I truly believe, based on my personal experience, images in media, books, and even history, that there is a deep seeded problem in the major ethnic groups regarding light and dark.

Personally: I have seen, with my own interactions with people from various ethnic groups that for some color is an issue. I have stated asian images in literature and in media regarding color. My point in even bringing up european culture was not to imply some 'eurocentric hatred of black'--but to state that, even within their culture, as is with black and latino culture, there are issues of color. I never implied that in all of their culture feel this way or experiences it. But it is a reality. Folklore, media images various european countries and groups lean towards light. Look at latin magazines and television. Brown skinned people are usualy portrayed in positions of servitude or bufoonary. You have African people in certain parts of Africa who will say that they are Persian (the Persians ruled in the Ivory Coast for several hundred years), versus saying they are African because to acknowledge an african heritage is to acknowledge an ancestry of slavery. (Henry Gates' Africa Documentary) I know of AfroCubans, as dark as ebony, who will tell you that they are not african, but latino. I have Mexican counterparts who have acknowledged their black heritage, yet there are many who will say that, there are and never were black Mexicans.
Even after explaining certain comments to you, you seem to totally disregard any explanation it seems for the benefit of arguing. No drama. Just citing that the game plan you use, is not a 'one size fits all'. Again, it is one thing to challenge someone. It is another to attack.

Images in the media: The images displayed in magazines, videos, commericals, movies...they are not valid? Take a peek at Telemundo and Univision. Look at the the world news programs on PBS that feature newscasters from various countries. Even the images on B.E.T (black exploitation television--yeah, harsh, but they could be doing better). Various J-pop (japanese pop) magazines and images.

I do however, still take offense to your implications of 'european hatred of blackness'. The last part of my original post was not in reference to that at all. It was directed at the original article in the previous post, that WE as a people must change our mindset. All people. That the self hatred and dislike for the very things that make each ethnic group unique are the things that we should accept and cherish. I feel your 'european hatred' comment implied that I was making another 'the man did this to us statement'. And that is not the kind of person I am.

I also commented that, within the various ethnic groups, that color seems to be a prominent issue. That at some degree or another, most ethnic groups have some color issue. And by mentioning Europeans and those of european descent, I was implying that they too, are prone to have color issues within.

And to think, you didnt even comment about the FACT that there is a skin lightenging product that is being sold her in the U.S., just like the products sold in Africa, and advertised specifically as a beauty product that will lighten the entire complexion. That's what it was really about.

Anyhoo, post peace.