Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Read my post Deli.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20595&mesg_id=20614
20614, RE: Read my post Deli.
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-23-00 10:48 AM
>Post #1
>
>"where did you get this from.
>Is this your opinion or
>is there some book that
>discusses the beauty values of
>European and asian peoples?"
>
>Thats all I asked- please tell
>me how this can be
>construed as an attack. it
>is a question to which
>the answer has been touted
>as an entitlement.
>
>I asked that she either qualify
>this as opinion or as
>fact- and then I get
>10 posts telling me not
>to question her opinion. The
>point is we can only
>presume that this was her
>opinion and she didnt say
>either way- thats why I
>asked her to.
>

ahh...that you did ask. but when she did go on to say it was an observation, you again went on to say:

"Do you know any Europeans- have you ever been to Europe?
What is the experience that leads you to draw these conclusions- I certainly hope its not an Americanized perspective of foreign ideas but it seems that way. "

so again...you are demanding some sort of justification as to where her opinion comes from.

after she replied to your messages stating some of her experiences, you briefly went on to express some of yours, but then continued to say that her claim/opinion/statement wasn't substantiated by saying:

"...If you have nothing solid to substantiate your claims then you are entitled to commit to your opinion just dont expect it to suffice as fact- much less the solid basis for a discussion."

Not once did she say it was fact. and just as you posted, not until you asked did she state that it was her observation. once she did as you asked, you continued to dissect her wording. if that's not antagonistic, then what is it?

You are choosing to pick apart what a person has expressed as merely an opinion. i read your post, and the subsequent responses that were made from both of you, so I'm not discounting what either of you are saying. My problem with this is that while you say you are not behaving in an antagonistic fashion, you are. And the reason I say that is because it doesn't matter what answer or evidence she provides you...if it's not to YOUR liking then it's not substantial information for you, and then you feel that she can't hold a discussion on the issue.