Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: If you cant stand the heat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20595&mesg_id=20612
20612, RE: If you cant stand the heat
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-23-00 10:02 AM
>I didnt berate the original post
>nor its author- I asked
>that she cite a source
>for a very bold statement.
>Like I said she didnt
>claim it was her opinion
>until I raised the idea
>that it was nothing but.

i agree that she made a statement. but i believe you have misinterpreted this person's statement. ordinarily, IN MY EXPERIENCE, i have noticed that most STATEMENTS made to this, or any other MESSAGE BOARD, have been spawned by a person's opinions, and it was never said that it was in fact their opinion...that was a given.

>
>
>While this board is definitely a
>place to express opinion I
>think to sit quietly by
>and not challenge opinions you
>disagree with- or are even
>offended by is a miscarriage
>of what this site can
>accomplish.

in that respect, yes, you are right. however, i did not say that you should sit idly by and not express your opinion in return. my statement and observation of what i read was a person posting their opinion and then you demanding that they substantiate their opinion. Now if the person had said this was fact, then I can understand your need for them to validate a point. but in this case i don't.

>I was just wondering
>to myself what this site
>would be like if we
>all just agreed with each
>other even if we didnt;
>or maybe if we all
>just let people's unvalidated opinions
>breed negativity and mischaracterization about
>other people's cultures. Maybe we
>could all sing We are
>the world- or as you
>suggest "don't read it, and
>move on to another post."

in that respect i do understand and agree. but again, your post is rather antagonistic in the way it was delivered/interpreted. it could all well be possible that i'm interpreting what you wrote in the complete opposite manner by which you intended for it to be perceived, but then i can say the same for your interpretation of Shepoet's original post.

>
>
>Deli- i suggest you take your
>own advice- if you dont
>like what ive had to
>say then dont read it
>and by all means be
>my guest and dont respond.
>You say that you cant
>see where anyone is speaking
>for any race or culture-
>but that is EXACTLY how
>this post started...
>
>"This loathing of darkness is prevalent
>in just about any culture
>and ethnic group that I
>can think of. For caucasians/europeans,
>the 'ideal' beauty is flaxen
>hair, blue eyed, fair of
>skin, yadda, yadda."

where in that line do you see her/him say "And I speak for so-and-so when I say..."This loathing of darkness...yada yada yada"? I don't see it anywhere. If she/he doesn't flat out say that they are speaking for someone, how can you interpret it as such? I read the comment, and I didn't see where she/he was saying that.

>
>If thats not speaking for someone
>else's culture I dont know
>what is- if you admit
>that you are no authority
>on the subject then dont
>get offended when somebody points
>it out as a matter
>of opinion and not a
>substantiated one at that.
>

she/he never claimed to be an authority. again, please show me where she/he says this, because I didn't see it, and I have read the post(s) a few times.

>As for this stuff
>
>"There is no need for her
>or you to validate your
>opinions and/or your experiences."
>
>That's nonsense- you should do that
>for your own sake- especially
>when engaging in discussion.
>
>K

if she/he or you were giving a dissertation, conducting a debate or symposium...then yes, validate away ... but it's just a human saying how they feel. just as you and i are humans...stating how we feel. our feeling do not have to be substantiated. i don't have to agree with you to respect your opinion, but i don't have to demand you validate your opinion to me, either.

let's just agree to disagree and move on.