Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectIf you cant stand the heat
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20595&mesg_id=20611
20611, If you cant stand the heat
Posted by guest, Mon Oct-23-00 09:35 AM
I didnt berate the original post nor its author- I asked that she cite a source for a very bold statement. Like I said she didnt claim it was her opinion until I raised the idea that it was nothing but.

While this board is definitely a place to express opinion I think to sit quietly by and not challenge opinions you disagree with- or are even offended by is a miscarriage of what this site can accomplish. I was just wondering to myself what this site would be like if we all just agreed with each other even if we didnt; or maybe if we all just let people's unvalidated opinions breed negativity and mischaracterization about other people's cultures. Maybe we could all sing We are the world- or as you suggest "don't read it, and move on to another post."

Deli- i suggest you take your own advice- if you dont like what ive had to say then dont read it and by all means be my guest and dont respond. You say that you cant see where anyone is speaking for any race or culture- but that is EXACTLY how this post started...

"This loathing of darkness is prevalent in just about any culture and ethnic group that I can think of. For caucasians/europeans, the 'ideal' beauty is flaxen hair, blue eyed, fair of skin, yadda, yadda."

If thats not speaking for someone else's culture I dont know what is- if you admit that you are no authority on the subject then dont get offended when somebody points it out as a matter of opinion and not a substantiated one at that.

As for this stuff

"There is no need for her or you to validate your opinions and/or your experiences."

That's nonsense- you should do that for your own sake- especially when engaging in discussion.

K