Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNow now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20595&mesg_id=20602
20602, Now now
Posted by janey, Mon Oct-23-00 09:34 AM
One thing that we know about message boards is this: It's really hard to get inflection right when reading someone else's post.

I can tell you from my experience with KoalaLove that he may challenge your opinion but he does not intend to attack you as a person. Because I've tangled with him a little bit and have read many threads in which he has discussed issues with others, I can tell you that he is well-informed and quite confident of his opinions, and can back up them up with citations. That means that those of us who are more intuitive about our opinions and/or who don't have time or resources to deeply research the content of our posts may feel that we are at a disadvantage when discussing an issue with K.

That does not mean, however, that intuitive opinions, which are formed for a good, if unconscious, reason, aren't welcomed. K is, I think, challenging you to look more deeply into your opinion and to learn more about how you formed it, so that you can be better prepared to abandon it if it no longer works for you, to ask the questions that will lead you to a greater understanding of it, and to stand up to him, in the spirit of this board, if you stand by your opinions.

The spirit of this board is such that we may discuss issues, we may become heated about our issues and our opinions, but we try not to resort to attacking the speaker.

Take another look at the thread and instead of thinking that anyone is attacking anyone else, read it as though each question is a genuine request for information and each statement is made with respect. Because I think that was each person's intent. 'Kay?

Peace.