Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: What is your experience?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20595&mesg_id=20599
20599, RE: What is your experience?
Posted by shepoet, Mon Oct-23-00 07:28 AM
Why is it that you appear to be offended by my statement? Yes, I know some europeans--quite a few actually, from various walks of life. And yes, I have lived in Europe. And no, my view is not a totally Americanized view. It appears to me that you are: 1)taking my statement further than it was ever meant to be taken, and 2), i thought i made it clear that it was not to be perceived as a generalization of an entire group of people. Read my comment again....i said it was an observation. Am I wrong about the perception of the flaxen haired beauty? Am I wrong about some of the Asian folklore about the images of beautiful maidens? Have you seen the features of media personalities in the Asian and Latin arena? If so, would one be wrong to make the observation that, because there as so many people of 'light' complexion displayed in the media and in positions of power, that what is deemed acceptable would be what is lighter?

Never did I say that i was some sort of authority on the issue. And never did i say that all europeans thought fair and flaxen was the epitome of beauty. But that is the image that is thrust upon society.

Now, if you are european and have some thoughts on the topic at hand, then by all means, share them. If you have evidence that, in european cultures, that color is not an issue, then share it. I'm always willing to listen to another's perspective.

Perhaps, if i had said, that in many cultures and ethnic groups, similar issues exist (because they do).....would that have set well with you?