Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: freegan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20479&mesg_id=20522
20522, RE: freegan
Posted by guest, Thu Oct-26-00 02:59 PM
>meaning a vegan who oscillates toward
>fruitarian?

No, a freegan is simply someone who only eats animal products
when these products are given to them for free. My main objection to eating animal products is an ethical choice, but if I am given that animal product for free, it's not my money that is supporting something which I do not believe in. Of course there is the arguement that someone still had to pay for that animal product, and that is why I try to avoid accepting free handouts whenever I can. But there are those times when I'm broke, hungry and can't refuse a slice of soycheese (with casein)pizza.

Speaking of soy cheese (someone else mentioned it), vegan cheeses (Soymage, Vegan Rella and Soya Kass has a new vegan line)do not melt very easily. Most soy/rice cheeses have casein, a protein derived from milk, which enables them to melt better.

Try Nutritional yeast. It's that really light-weight yellow in colour stuff. Don't get it confused with brewers yeast! Nutritional yeast is very nutrious (contains lots of beneficial bacteria) and has a "cheezey" flavour. Just mix it with a little water and oil until it takes on the desired consistency.

Peace,
Brady