Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: vegetarians and fish
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20479&mesg_id=20520
20520, RE: vegetarians and fish
Posted by guest, Wed Oct-25-00 06:41 PM
>there's different levels of vegitarianism.....the most
>hardcore being vegan

Actually there is a "level" that is even more "hardcore" than being vegan, it is called "fruitarian". The basic belief in being fruitarian is that you do not eat anything that was once living. This basically means that you do not eat anything where you had to kill the animal (obvious) or even the plant in order to subsist from it. This would include famouse root vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, beets, parsnips, and well the list could go on forever. In order to eat something such as lettuce the fruitarian would have to make sure that the lettuce leaves were cut so that the plant as a whole were to live. Same witch vegetables such as chard, kale, , broccoli and other vegetables where you can simply cut the head off without actually "killing" the plant as a whole.

I myself am vegan, have been for 5 years now; vegetarian for much longer than that. I understand the logic of being fruitarian I just have not been able to progess to that level.

If anything I've regressed to being an almost freegan (entirely different post).

Peace,
Chris