Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMy opinion (yeah, it's longer than the post)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2045&mesg_id=2133
2133, My opinion (yeah, it's longer than the post)
Posted by Blackmagicallydelicious, Fri Apr-09-04 01:57 AM
Just to back up a little, when you fill out any kind of form asking for race, white is defined as someone of European, North African, or Middle Eastern descent. Now, if the government defines Middle Eastern as white, then it's like a roundabout way of saying that Jesus, being of that region, is white.

Second, like in the Boondocks a few days ago, I agree that it's almost laughable that Mel went through the trouble of keeping the languages and methods of torture and crucifixion as historically correct as possible but throws in Jim Cavaziel as Jesus. It's a slap in the face when the bible clearly says that he had hair like wool and skin like brass.

A lot of you say or think that it doesn't matter what color he's portrayed, but it's the equivilant of showing a depiction of Muhammad to Muslims in a movie. It's an abomination to who he is, also to his teachings by not focusing on why Jesus went out like that. Two hours highlighting the suffering and death (of a white man, which moves the majority of Christians more since that image has been beaten into our heads), which in itself is an important lesson, but almost ignoring or only giving a few minutes at a time to his life (and some scenes being straight up fiction) goes against the point of Christianity.

In Christianity, we are taught to be "Christ-like" in the way that he *lived*. How can one gain any kind of understanding or want to know more about Jesus if we start at the end of his life? Jesus was not only a spiritual leader, but a political one as well, and the latter is the reason for his death. Jesus did not agree with how cleric ran the temples and how classism ruled the masses. But, this is an election year and we are in a war that the people didn't want to begin with (until we were lied to about WMDs). Like one response said, Mel is a Bush supporter. Why not create a movie that will humble the people and create an atmosphere where we should, in wanting to be Christlike, accept the suffering and death of Jesus for our sins instead of teaching the fight and quest for knowledge in him throughout his life? Do people think Jesus would agree with war against Iraq or the passivity we possess in dealing with the government?

And realistically, Hollywood will never depict the truth---that he was a man of color who opposed the popular government and religious leaders and their incorrect teachings and behavior.

I walked away from that movie mad at what wasn't shown and knowing that I should've known better than pay money to see it in the first place. Some of my money is in that overwhelming profit that Mel Gibson has made, and I wish it wasn't because it wasn't worth it. It's good that it brings up more discussion within Christianity, but it's a tragedy that there is even more confusion as a result.