Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOk here, we go
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2045&mesg_id=2084
2084, Ok here, we go
Posted by CaptainRook, Fri Apr-09-04 04:47 AM
Please read it slow, to help increase your chances of understanding (Case_One).

>The Spill:
>
>It’s like this. The civil right movement did more good for
>the psyche of black people than any other pro-black
>nationalist movement.

Let me understand this: Allowing dogs and firemens' water hoses to be syched on women and children while the men of those women and children did nothing was actually helpful to Black people? More so than asserting pride in the way God made oneself, studying and teaching Black history to our children, and trying to establish some means of independence and self suffiency? Please explain.

The movements help to break the chains
>of mental bondage that many black people had in that era.

No, that movement was the very manifestation of mental bondage.

Feeling that you need someone else (of all ppl, our former slave master and current oppressor), to accept and validate you for you to be ok, for you to alright. Trying to prove your humanity to crazy, racist beasts IS slave thinking in action!

The "I'll suffer this pain that massa is puttin' on me" and the whole "forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" thinking is prototypical practice of slave mental bondage thinking.

>Thinking like “ I can’t be anything because I’m black” or “

In short, the civil rights didn't directly try to deal with us being Black; it tried to pretend, in the overwhelming face of racism, that race didn't matter. They were trying to erase the color line and pretend that it didn't exist or at the very least, didn't matter.

>I have to take the abuse of another because I’m black.”

No, as stated above, the Civil Rights movement's declaration was that "I WILL take and endure this abuse BECAUSE I AM BLACK. Takin' this ass whuppin' will prove to your that I am human and worthy of your acceptance." Another Negro false belief fantasy.

Listen, the only thing that our forefathers and mothers proved by takin' those ass whuppins' was that we could take a good whuppin' (no disrespect intended to any of those who have gone and endured before us).

It
>also help to build betetr race relations.

Build better race relations? For who? On what grounds? Under what terms? In what context?

>
>Once white America (as in the establishment that maintained
>the statuesque of segregation) realized that the movement
>could not be suppressed, they had to recognize the economic
>influence of black America as directed towards white
>finances.

Ahh, there is truth and power in what you just stated above. I agree with it to a great extent. There is much power in the Black dollar and everybody wants a piece of it because we give it away without demanding anything in return, for the most part. It's money that business people get with no strings attached.

You've got groups of immigrants who have been coming over depending on us and our money and we support the hell out of them to the point where they no longer need us. They come into our neighborhoods, get rich off of us, and the reality for us in those very same neighborhoods, does not change.

Once we truly realize that we do have money and that you have whole groups of people who come here depending on OUR DOLLARS for THEIR SURVIVAL, we will be a better people for it. (Sidenote: It would do us much good to back and study the Birmingham Bus Boycott, and look at the power our people were able to exercise by simply KEEPING THEIR MONEY IN THEIR OWN POCKETS!)

I guess the part where I disagree with you on the above statement is that white people realized that they were losing out on an economic advantage through segregation and so forth. This is really a double edged sword, because while this thing worked to their disadvantage, it did work to our advantage in so many ways, and it has been so long that most of us have forgotten or have never known about that particular advantage. We've got to ask ourselves why is it that we would want to weaken our communities and neighborhoods like that, risking gettin' out teeth kicked in and neck broken, just to spend money with people who disdain us, who hate the sight of us? What kind of a people act like that? People who suffer from a slave bondage mentality. Negroes living in fantasy land.

At any rate, I don't think that it was solely an economic decision that made white folks decide to yield way to segregation and bring forth the Civil Rights Bill, affirmative aciton, and the like.

Context, context, context. We must view things in context. America was simutaneously participating in the Vietnam war, supposedly fighting for freedom and democracy. And everynight, the nation was being put on blast and being exposed for the hypocritical nation that it is, on nightly news broadcasts which showed women and children being abused for trying to obtain some of this freedom and liberty that America so proudly boasts about.

Once other nations around the world had an opportunity to veiw this footage on a nightly basis, the world view of America became very, very cynical. Other nations knew that the U.S.A. had no right to be goin' around the world, calling itself administering and giving out freedom to other people, by any means necessary (i.e., bullets, missiles, bombs, gases, etc.), while America did not even practice the same thing within its own borders, with its own "citizens". The embarassment from being exposed as a world-wide hypocrite is what made the LEGISLATIVE POWERS give in and yield way. I will agree that reaping an economic beneifit was a good side effect for them, but I don't believe it was the motivating factor.

>
>Now many people would like to believe that that would have
>the jobs or attend the schools they attend today, based on
>their own solo efforts, but that’s like thinking God for the
>apple and not the tree. Limited sight.

I don't know if it's just me but I find it difficult to understand exactly what you are saying in the above passage. I guess you are referencing affirmative action and the like. Affirmative Action, like anything else that has been given to you by white folks, can be taken away. As evidenced by the perpetual debate over whether it's still necessary or whether it should be banished for good. At best, affirmative action is a band-aid solution and no long-term beneifit can be derived from it.

Nationalists know that it is dangerous to allow your enemy(ies) to have free-range access to your childrens' minds as they do in the educational system. All civilized, and proud people, who love their children create, support and maintain their own damn school system (among many other things). They don't risk a beat down to go to school with people who don't like them, to have their thinking programmed by professors, teachers, and instructors, who don't have their best interests at heart.

Where was the "Let's build our own schools campaign" in the Civil Rights movement? Where? No where because it didn't exist? They were too busy, risking life and limb, trying to get into their schools to prove to them how smart we are. Again, looking for acceptance and validation. The number one symptom of a slave bondage mentality.

>
>Black people have benefited from the civil rights movement
>in many ways. Such as human rights, economic independence
>(if there is truly a thing), education (the ability to
>attended a school of their choice, the over all power to
>choose what you want to be.

Do you know who the number one benefactors of Civil Rights and affirmitive action has been? WHITE WOMEN!!! That's right, the oppressors daughters, granddaughters, wives, and sisters have benefitted the most from something that we, Black people, started and sacrificed and suffered the most to get. The Trick bag that this cracka has is bottomless, and I'll let you stay stuck in it if that's what you want to do.

Not only that, look at the immigrant groups, who come here and benefit from our forefathers/mothers' blood, sweat, and tears in the Civil Rights movement, by falling into the category of minority. And some of these groups, with their limited grasp and sense of U.S. history, come into our neighborhoods and disrespect us (e.g., Koreans), while their children are able to attend Stanford, Duke, Georgetown, and other prestigous institutions of higher learning in America, only because of us and our efforts (really our forefathers and mothers, but you know what I mean).

>
>The only reason Black people have not continued to move even
>further is because of the lack of a true captivation leader
>at this point. We have failed ourselves by not backing a
>qualified black leader that represents the community, and
>just not out individual interest.

This is the whole Messiah mentality. If you are waiting on one man or woman to lead us to the promised land, your wait will be a very mighty long one. As I heard the M.H.A. Kwame Toure, say in a speech when I was in college: "If one man was all it took to free the people, I would have done it a long time ago." No one person is gonna do it. The leader is within. All of us most lead in some form or capacity. We must lead primarily through examples of doing something.

And I'm sorry (actually, I'm not), but the path of Civil Rights is not gonna do it. Beggin' our historical enemies and oppressors for validation and acceptance is not gonna do it. We must take on a mentality of Black-nationalism. We must go study the likes of Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad (you don't have to accept Islam to study him), Malcolm X, Amos Wilson, and to a certain extent, Booker T. Washington. These men laid down the Blueprint for what we need to do and how we need to do it.

>Now, I did not agree with the integration as a means of
>assimilation. The assimilation mindset has ruined the black
>community as a whole, not just the individual. The community
>would be stronger and more powerful.

I agree with you here: Assimilation has ruined the Black community. But unfortunately, you can not seperate assimilation from the Civil Rights movement. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.

>
>Overall the civil rights moment has opened many door that
>can and will allow black people to become more of a force in
>this country, however, this mentality has not flourished.

The Civil Rights movement managed to open up doors that can just as easily closed as they were opened and ain't a damn thing you or I can do about it, except to depend on the compassion of our oppressors to leave those doors open, to look out for us.

>There are too many people who think that they have arrived
>and have forgotten their forefather’s vision. The vision
>that we all shall overcome and prosper.

I haven't forgotten our forefathers' vision. Everyday I thank God for the likes of Booker T. Washington, Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Malcolm X, Amos Wilson, and Khallid Muhammad.

The only way we will overcome is via Black-nationalism. Any other means is just fantasy and an act of playing yourself.