Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWinter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20315&mesg_id=20315
20315, Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by nappiness, Mon Nov-13-00 04:53 AM
November book discussion of Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah. I am using the paperback book as my reference.
Let's discuss
--Are the characters well developed?
--Do you think Midnight is a believable character?
--How does this compare to her first book No Disrespect?
--What do ya'll think of the books definition of a 'Bad Bitch', do you agree, disagree, and how would u define a 'bad bitch'
(p. 4 & 41)
--What was your favorite scene/quote from the book?
I liked p.135 Midnight says, "sometimes a smart man can see everything and everybody but he can't see himself. Your father was smart but sometimes he let women influence him to make moves he knew he shouldn't make".
also p. 104 Winter says,"normally i'd be plotting on a party. now i was plotting on survival"
--Although the book is fiction what/who do u think Sister Souljah is responding to or challenging in this book?
--One of the most interesting things in the book for me is how the Santiaga family played the victim role. They were in a life of crime and drugs but when thangs went sour they acted as if they had been puritans. When u do wrong, wrong comes back to ya. The higher up u r the harder u fall.
--Were ya'll surprised to find out that Ricky Santiaga had another kid, a son?
--What did ya'll think of the male relationships Souljah had with GS and Midnight. I think these relationships reflect the lessons she learned, as discussed in No Disrespect. So for me this I could pull things from No Disrespect that she tried to follow up with in this book.
--Bullet, the dog scene and when he sexed her after the abortion. She knew he was shady but she felt she had no other options. He was crazy......
--Her mother the originator of the 'bad bitch' description turns out to be a crackhead. But I wasn't to surprised, she said that Ricky was her sun, moon, stars, and after he went down she was dead on the inside. Damn.......
--p. 330 "Have you ever seen an aggressive, confident man with broke pockets and no business? Do you remember him? Do you respect him?
What did ya'll think of this exchange?
--What do ya'll think was Winters weakness?
--What do ya'll think was her fathers weakness, Ricky Santiaga?
--The end, the mothers funeral. Porshe was Winter reincarnated. I think that Winter should have given her sister some advice, that whole live and learn argument is some bullish. I think this is the mindset a lot of folks have that they can't tell someone else how to live their life, each person must learn their own lessons. I disagree with this b/c if I had some effed up things happen to me I wouldn't want the next person to go through the same things. I think Winter should have said something and if Porshe didn't take heed that was on her, but Winter would have done her part by talking to her.
OKAY, ya'll add your opinions, likes, dislikes, etc.
DO WE WANT TO HAVE A BOOK FOR DECEMBER?
MAKE SUGGESTIONS FOR DECEMBER AND FOR NEXT YEAR?
--------sig-----------
If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
Check out the website:
http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
---------------------
Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
Nov. 13 "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister Souljah
GET YO READ ON .........
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
Ms. Nappiness