Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWinter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20315
20315, Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by nappiness, Mon Nov-13-00 04:53 AM
November book discussion of Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah. I am using the paperback book as my reference.
Let's discuss
--Are the characters well developed?
--Do you think Midnight is a believable character?
--How does this compare to her first book No Disrespect?
--What do ya'll think of the books definition of a 'Bad Bitch', do you agree, disagree, and how would u define a 'bad bitch'
(p. 4 & 41)
--What was your favorite scene/quote from the book?
I liked p.135 Midnight says, "sometimes a smart man can see everything and everybody but he can't see himself. Your father was smart but sometimes he let women influence him to make moves he knew he shouldn't make".
also p. 104 Winter says,"normally i'd be plotting on a party. now i was plotting on survival"
--Although the book is fiction what/who do u think Sister Souljah is responding to or challenging in this book?
--One of the most interesting things in the book for me is how the Santiaga family played the victim role. They were in a life of crime and drugs but when thangs went sour they acted as if they had been puritans. When u do wrong, wrong comes back to ya. The higher up u r the harder u fall.
--Were ya'll surprised to find out that Ricky Santiaga had another kid, a son?
--What did ya'll think of the male relationships Souljah had with GS and Midnight. I think these relationships reflect the lessons she learned, as discussed in No Disrespect. So for me this I could pull things from No Disrespect that she tried to follow up with in this book.
--Bullet, the dog scene and when he sexed her after the abortion. She knew he was shady but she felt she had no other options. He was crazy......
--Her mother the originator of the 'bad bitch' description turns out to be a crackhead. But I wasn't to surprised, she said that Ricky was her sun, moon, stars, and after he went down she was dead on the inside. Damn.......
--p. 330 "Have you ever seen an aggressive, confident man with broke pockets and no business? Do you remember him? Do you respect him?
What did ya'll think of this exchange?
--What do ya'll think was Winters weakness?
--What do ya'll think was her fathers weakness, Ricky Santiaga?
--The end, the mothers funeral. Porshe was Winter reincarnated. I think that Winter should have given her sister some advice, that whole live and learn argument is some bullish. I think this is the mindset a lot of folks have that they can't tell someone else how to live their life, each person must learn their own lessons. I disagree with this b/c if I had some effed up things happen to me I wouldn't want the next person to go through the same things. I think Winter should have said something and if Porshe didn't take heed that was on her, but Winter would have done her part by talking to her.
OKAY, ya'll add your opinions, likes, dislikes, etc.
DO WE WANT TO HAVE A BOOK FOR DECEMBER?
MAKE SUGGESTIONS FOR DECEMBER AND FOR NEXT YEAR?
--------sig-----------
If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
Check out the website:
http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
---------------------
Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
Nov. 13 "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister Souljah
GET YO READ ON .........
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
Ms. Nappiness
----------
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html
20316, RE: Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by guest, Mon Nov-13-00 05:18 AM
the first time i read this book i started reading it around midnight...and hell if i didnt go to sleep until i finished reading it. it was about 6 in the a.m. and i was feeling satisfied but kind of angry.
sistah souljah may have been meaning to do well, but i seriously think a lot of women took that book as truth on how things are and didnt catch the irony and the sadness in winter's whole reaction to her father being put in jail. see, winter kept up the allusion that she was still "in the money"...when all she could do was keep from selling everything she had for some food.
i had a "discussion" with my Sun about this book...we both read it and he agreed that we know people just like winter; girls who would give anything for a man with money or girls who believed that money was the answer to everything.
i know a lot of women read that book and see winter as a strong female character - but winter is the weakest out of them all, even her mother. because she was the one who got out of things without a scrape and didnt give two craps about everybody else, they werent in her world. the only people she was concerned with was her physical and her future husband's money clip.
midnight was believable in a way...he existed only to show us who winter fantasized about and why she could never survive on her own. He was there to show us what winter's faults were. her constant materialsim...needing to appear as if she still had money, needing to appear as if she had everything together and refusing to come to grips with the fact that she needed halp and needed to give up "the good life", all those things led to her death (mentally). in my opinion, winter was the real crackhead...addicted to the fantasy that money is worth something. one thing people need to realize is that money is only a tool, never a valued thing. valuable things are things which connect to ur soul and improve your SELF. money is only as "valuable" as people allow it to be and some people place their life as collateral....
winter's father, in her eyes and her mother's, was a hero only because he provided them with their drug. they knew nothing of what he did outside of the house and probably didnt care. i was not surprised at all that he had a son from another woman.
the only surprise i got was that winter, to the end, defended her money fix and NEVER admitted to herself that there was any other way to be.
her last relationship was the "bottom" that so many former addicts talk about. the final straw that breaks the camels back. she had finally done anything to be with someone who had money, even becoming her mother. she knew people were not stupid, yet still disillusioned herself to believe that she could outsmart men who's job it was to deceive.
i didnt read souljah's previous book, but i feel that this may have been souljah at one time, OR that someone close to her was or is an addict of some kind. or maybe she just got inspired by a letter, who knows.

peace.
20317, December & Next Year
Posted by nappiness, Mon Nov-13-00 05:24 AM
Do we want to discuss a book for December?
Do ya'll want the book discussion to continue into next year?
What books do ya'll want to read for next year?

-Kindred by Octavia Butler has been tossed around before so that's one on the list......
What else?

--------sig-----------
If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
Check out the website:
http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
---------------------
Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
Nov. 13 "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister Souljah
GET YO READ ON .........
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
Ms. Nappiness
----------
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html
20318, RE: December & Next Year
Posted by GenuineCrystal, Mon Nov-13-00 10:53 AM
I'dlike to continue discussing this book into December. I have so much to say about it and I know I can't type it all right now. And I know I'm not going to finish another book before November. This is a really busy time.

You know I only say it 'cause I'm truly Genuine
Don't be a hard rock when you really are a Gem -- Lauryn Hill
20319, i didn't get a chance to re-read it...
Posted by wbgirl, Mon Nov-13-00 06:13 AM
and i've blocked a lot of it out b/c to put it simply, i didn't like the book. i think that since i enjoyed no disrespect, i was looking for sister souljah to be on some whole new shit with her first novel and i was severely disappointed when it wasn't. all the characters seemed shallow and while i can appreciate what she was trying to do by inserting a character based on herself (the woman that tried to save winter...what was her name?!?!?), it just didn't come off well to me.

i think we should continue our trend of reading fiction one month and non-fiction the next. that said, i'd vote for any of the following for december:

jill nelson's "straight no chaser" or "volunteer slavery"
cornel west's "race matters"
bell hooks' "all about love: new visions"

i promise that i'll try to read the next book! :-)

~~wbg~~
AIM: wbgirl218
Chicago 2001...will u be ready?
activists send messages here:
chicagoactivist@africana.com
everyone click here:
http://www.recordkingdom.com
and here:
http://www.breastcancer3day.org

november as okp tour quote month:
"How the fuck do I look giving you a baby and I aint even give my own husband one?!?! How the fuck does that sound?!
And how do you know I can even HAVE a baby. My shit could be fucked up.
I could have, like, half a Fallopian tube, and by you saying that, you would have started some fuckin issues…cause I’ll be on some(crying…), “If I could have a baby, I WOULD give you one…”, but then you got me in the damn therapists office crying because I can’t reproduce."
(c) Jaguar in her 11/3 diary entry
20320, RE: i didn't get a chance to re-read it...
Posted by guest, Mon Nov-13-00 07:09 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

She inserted herself as the character to help Winter out.

I did not enjoy this book at all. I thought it was kind of arrogant to put herself in as a character. The characters seemd to lack commonsense. I like Sista Souljah , don't get me wrong, but she could have done better.

Witty as can be , but not for sale . RUN DMC

Money is the key to end all your woes/ your ups and downs , your highs and your lows / Won't you tell the last time that love bought your clothes / It's like that and that's the way it is. HUH!!! RUN DMC

20321, my take on it....
Posted by me, Mon Nov-13-00 06:52 AM
it's been a while since i read it, but i've read it twice, so i think my memory is pretty good....

>--Are the characters well developed?
I think so for the most part.. My first reaction was things seem to be a bit much, but i had to check myself and realize that event though there weren't people like that in my life...they may exist somewhere.

>--Do you think Midnight is a
>believable character?
i think so- please see my first answer.

>--How does this compare to her
>first book No Disrespect?
her first book was wonderful...after i read it, i was determined to meet her and i did. first and obvious differenceis the firat book is a true story and the second is not. they both suck you right in and they are very hard to put down...

>--What do ya'll think of the
>books definition of a 'Bad
>Bitch', do you agree, disagree,
>and how would u define
>a 'bad bitch'
>(p. 4 & 41)
i'll get back to ya...don't have the book in front of me

>--What was your favorite scene/quote from
>the book?
again...get back to ya

>--Although the book is fiction what/who
>do u think Sister Souljah
>is responding to or challenging
>in this book?

hmmmm...i need to think on that...a part of me feels she was reaching out to these "flyy" girls and showing them to use their heads to get somewhere and that nothing comes that easy.

>--Were ya'll surprised to find out
>that Ricky Santiaga had another
>kid, a son?

not at all...and that's not a male bashing thought...i wouldn't be surprised if the momma did some dirt, even though she worshipped her husband.

>--What did ya'll think of the
>male relationships Souljah had with
>GS and Midnight.

gotta get back to ya...i don't remember GS????

--p. 330 "Have you ever seen
>an aggressive, confident man with
>broke pockets and no business?
> Do you remember him?
>Do you respect him?
>What did ya'll think of this
>exchange?

>--What do ya'll think was Winters
>weakness?
she really needed a big ole hug...but she had to have everything when she wanted it and how she wanted it...real life ain't like that...

>--What do ya'll think was her
>fathers weakness, Ricky Santiaga?
money...

i'm going to have to pull my book out and give you a better review...i really wanted to be a part of this discussion...i love book clubish like thangs...

december should be a light read...just because of the holidays...i am currently re-reading flyy girl by omar tyreee because i bought the sequel and started reading it, but i had to go back and refresh my memory.

also- i'm a little under the weather, so my brain is not working to well this morning...so i will be back for more....

:-(
20322, RE: Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by guest, Mon Nov-13-00 07:37 AM
The INvisible Man - Ellison
The Souls Of Black Folk - DuBois
Parable of the Sower - Octavia Butler
some book on wholistic health

peace.

---------------------------
in the midst of misty surroundings, the light still shines full on my face.
shine on my sun...
20323, RE: Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by b00g1e, Mon Nov-13-00 08:11 AM
>Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss."
>November book discussion of Coldest Winter
>Ever by Sister Souljah. I
>am using the paperback book
>as my reference.
>Let's discuss
well developed...hmmmm they aren't shallow characters...but, they could be fuller than they were.
>believable character?
yes and no. yes, in how winter's perceives him, there are brothers like him walking around, and how he comes across having one foot in good/one in bad that's quiet rather believable too.. but over all he could stand some rounding out as well.
Well I didn't read that one so I cant comment.
>and how would u define
I use this phrase myself..and that's entirely another discussion ...The definition as Winter's mother gives it ...is incomplete as I define it.... not only would a bad bitch have her physical together..but she would have her financial, and mental together..independent of a man. If you really bad you can take care of self in those resepcts and not be dependent.
>a 'bad bitch'
>(p. 4 & 41)
>the book? This is not really my favorite but rather I can see it happening...when she's at the party and there going through the groupies to see which one is going upstairs to be with GS.
but i did like the exchange between sister and midnight in the letters.
>I liked p.135 Midnight says, "sometimes
>a smart man can see
>everything and everybody but he
>can't see himself. Your father
>was smart but sometimes he
>let women influence him to
>make moves he knew he
>shouldn't make".
>also p. 104 Winter says,"normally i'd
>be plotting on a party.
>now i was plotting on
>survival"
>in this book? women/girls like winter and her mother. her character would have you believe she was smart, but she's not she's just slick all apart of that getting over, get on, get as much as you can mentality that is far too common these days.

>--One of the most interesting things
>in the book for me
>is how the Santiaga family
>played the victim role. They
>were in a life of
>crime and drugs but when
>thangs went sour they acted
>as if they had been
>puritans. When u do wrong,
>wrong comes back to ya.
>The higher up u r
>the harder u fall.
Interesting ,but i'm thinking probably true to life... people can and will justify alot of things in the name of money and getting theirs as we all know. And then there's the whole argument well if i didn't do somebody else would it wouldn't stop, never admitting or understanding that their are 2 sides to that coin what you do is on you, what they do is a different matter to be discussed later.
>kid, a son?
NO, but the mother sure was.
>GS and Midnight. I think
>these relationships reflect the lessons
>she learned, as discussed in
>No Disrespect. So for me
>this I could pull things
>from No Disrespect that she
>tried to follow up with
>in this book.
they seemed true to life ...GS?midnight they both have their good and bad points but u gotta go for the complete person...GS is in transition...groupies living wild....come to her for a sense of reality and perspective, to not have to be "on", in character. Midnight the brother with potetial but can't see his way clear... you can't get the matche' and clear the path for him he has to come that conclusion himself otherwise you get sucked in to some shit you don't want to do or be apart of.

>--Bullet, the dog scene and when
>he sexed her after the
>abortion. She knew he was
>shady but she felt she
>had no other options. He
>was crazy...... She felt she had no options cause she bought into the hype that a nigga with money is where it's at ...and the only means of doing..when she could have easily done for self.
>--Her mother the originator of the
>'bad bitch' description turns out
>to be a crackhead. But
>I wasn't to surprised, she
>said that Ricky was her
>sun, moon, stars, and after
>he went down she was
>dead on the inside. Damn....... What's really bad is after the shooting when they are on the train and winter don't wanna claim her mother or have her mom's back..that is just just shameful...then later on you aren't surprised when bullet looks at her moms in disgust or when winter pushes the vial in through the slot and never speaks, or claims her.
>
>--p. 330 "Have you ever seen
>Do you remember him? Do
>you respect him?
>exchange?
I will have to get back to ya on this i dont have the book in front of me
>weakness?
slick and easy....her methodlogy was all fucked up..thought she was getting over...and wasn't just gettin deeper...wanting it all quickly..no dues paying..hell evenr her father had to work to build his drug empire.
It wasn't the mother or winter it was he mistook his lack of control for control. in his "business" dealings he had some ...but he was right once he moved away he couldnt dictate or see what was going on. his workers, and family weren't under his control either...they were all in it for self ....u can't have any kind of unit with a mentality of self as opposed to one..as in one unit.
>--The end, the mothers funeral. Porshe
>was Winter reincarnated. I think
>that Winter should have given
>her sister some advice, that
>whole live and learn argument
>is some bullish. I think
>this is the mindset a
>lot of folks have that
>they can't tell someone else
>how to live their life,
>each person must learn their
>own lessons. I disagree with
>this b/c if I had
>some effed up things happen
>to me I wouldn't want
>the next person to go
>through the same things. I
>think Winter should have said
>something and if Porshe didn't
>take heed that was on
>her, but Winter would have
>done her part by talking
>to her.
ditto and likewise...
but alot of people do have this philosphy that u gotta let people make their own mistakes, your aren't your brother's keeper, your have no responisbilty to other people, family, community it all goes back to mentality of self and getting over.
>OKAY, ya'll add your opinions, likes,
>dislikes, etc.
>DO WE WANT TO HAVE A
>BOOK FOR DECEMBER?
>MAKE SUGGESTIONS FOR DECEMBER AND FOR
>NEXT YEAR?
>--------sig-----------
>If U WANNA ACTIVATE, contact ChicagoActivist
>
>Email us: chicagoactivist@africana.com
>Check out the website:
>http://chicagoactivist.cjb.net/
>Call us: 1-312-777-4001 ext 4409
>---------------------
>Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
>Nov. 13 "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister
>Souljah
>GET YO READ ON .........
>nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
>Ms. Nappiness
>----------
>http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html

20324, RE: Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by judicem, Mon Nov-13-00 11:14 AM
Well I read this book as a Freshman or Sophmore in college and all I remember is that this was Winter was my best friend. Every aspect. And I bought her a book and she read it and for a whole second she looked at herself in the mirror.

Well yes I think the characters are shallow and undeveloped but I think that's the point young girls missing the deeper meaning of life.

I thought then book was a good representation of a young girls mentality. Winter had the beautiful body and looks. She had the brains but never understood the meaning of developing them. She only understood the hustle. But understood it has though it was a family treasure handed down from generation to generation that no else could understand. Her dream were small and so was her mind because the ghetto was her world.

Only part I didn't like was the fact that the book ended to quit.
20325, RE: Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by GenuineCrystal, Mon Nov-13-00 11:30 AM

I think they are. The interesting thing is we only know them through Winter's description of them. Ironically, her view is so one sided and often irrational, it actually helps us to see them more objectively.

>believable character?

Yes. He is multidimensional. Ofcourse we first hear Winter's narrow minded description of him, but through the way he handles her, we learn a lot more about him. This is why in the end, we are able to see that this is the same person. The letters also answered some questions we may have had about him in the begining. They help explain his behavior and demeanor.

No Disrespect was a montage of many different characters and senerios. This book was focused on only one, and the voice of the narrator was much more dominant. It not only told what was happening, it created an attitude that set the tone and helped create the world of the book.

>and how would u define
>a 'bad bitch'
>(p. 4 & 41)

That sounds about right to me. Women who refer to themselves as "bithes" usually have that type of attitude. The only contrast might be the issue of having your man give you what you want or getting it on your own. But even if she gets it for herself, the woman who refers to herself as a "bitch" will usually step on other people to get it, and that's basically the same type of disrespect it would take to use a man simply to get what you want from him.

One thing I didn't pick up on right away was how the forward of the book was going to tie into the story. When she talked about a generation with no love, I thought to myself, "this isn't true. there are lots of young people who have true love for themselves, their families, neighbors, friends", but as I read this book, I saw that this didn't exist in Winter's reality. I know people like this, and it's so sad, but it's true. I think Sister Souljah did an excellent job of capturing the depth of this. I understand why some people didn't like the book. As I was reading it I didn't even like Winter. I admired her strength, tenacity, brilliance,and resourcefullness, but it frustrated me to no end that she could not see how to use all of this for good.

>--The end, the mothers funeral.
>Porshe was Winter reincarnated.
>I think that Winter should
>have given her sister some
>advice, that whole live and
>learn argument is some bullish.
> I think this is
>the mindset a lot of
>folks have that they can't
>tell someone else how to
>live their life, each person
>must learn their own lessons.
> I disagree with this
>b/c if I had some
>effed up things happen to
>me I wouldn't want the
>next person to go through
>the same things. I
>think Winter should have said
>something and if Porshe didn't
>take heed that was on
>her, but Winter would have
>done her part by talking
>to her.

The reason why Winter didn't try to school Porche is because she knew she wouldn't listen. She had been in that mindset and knew how it works. Winter had so many chances to turn her life around. In just about every chapter, there's a blatent sign for her to see that she's not living right. And she comes into contact with people who genuinely care about her and are willing to help. What does she do? She takes advantage of them. She just refuses to learn, so she has to find out the hard way. Hopefully somebody else headed down her path will read this book, and get the message before it's too late.

You know I only say it 'cause I'm truly Genuine
Don't be a hard rock when you really are a Gem -- Lauryn Hill
20326, RE: Winter-Sis.Souljah Book Discuss.
Posted by guest, Mon Nov-13-00 11:46 AM
Before I answer the questions I want to say that reading this book was like flashing back 10 years ago. I went to see SS speak a few times, I remember the boosting girls around the way, the pretty girls with the cut up face. The same girl going to jail for her backstabbing boyfriend. The same girl little sisters following in her footsteps.

Yes

>believable character?
I think his character was a little too judgemental for me. He was out doing to same dirt and shitting on them cause they got caught.

Never read it.

>and how would u define
>a 'bad bitch'
>(p. 4 & 41)

I think Winter's definition of a bad bitch is on point if thats what you want to be. Why would you want to be a bad bitch as opposed to a Wordly Woman.

>the book?
The most memorable scene to me was when Winter tried to seduce Midnight. Also when she found out she didn't sleep with GS. in both instances she tried to use her body to get what she wanted and failed miserably.

>in this book?
I think she is talking to the Porches of the world who saw their "fly girl" sisters and her drug dealing boyfriends, the jewelry, the cars, the parties and decided that's what she wanted. I think she is presentng to them what happened to their sisters and saying if she won't tell you what not to do I will.

>--One of the most interesting things
>in the book for me
>is how the Santiaga family
>played the victim role.
>They were in a life
>of crime and drugs but
>when thangs went sour they
>acted as if they had
>been puritans. When u
>do wrong, wrong comes back
>to ya. The higher
>up u r the harder
>u fall.
I think the wife and the kids were victims. The mother was a child when she got hooked up with the father,he was all she knew. The children only had them to look to so if your parents are ignorant, how do expect the children to be.

>kid, a son?
No, especially once his wife lost her looks.
>GS and Midnight. I
>think these relationships reflect the
>lessons she learned, as discussed
>in No Disrespect. So
>for me this I could
>pull things from No Disrespect
>that she tried to follow
>up with in this book.
I thought they were odd. I think she tried to show how Sister Souljah used her mind and got the two men Winter desired the most. Kind of arrogant don't you think for her being the author.

>--Her mother the originator of the
>'bad bitch' description turns out
>to be a crackhead.
>But I wasn't to surprised,
>she said that Ricky was
>her sun, moon, stars, and
>after he went down she
>was dead on the inside.
> Damn.......
>--p. 330 "Have you ever seen
> Do you remember him?
>Do you respect him?
>exchange?

See above.

>weakness?

Clothes, money, sex.

Thinking he could stay in the game so long. Thinking that he gave his children everything.

I think Winter opted not to talk to Porche because she saw herself in her and knew she was not listening to anything anyone had to say, especially if it meant her giving up the best things in life.

>DO WE WANT TO HAVE A
>BOOK FOR DECEMBER?
>NEXT YEAR?

How about "Woman Thou Art Loose" by TD Jakes. Women and religion from a mans perspective.

20327, the deepest scene
Posted by guest, Mon Nov-13-00 01:48 PM
I don't usually post here, but someone told me that y'all would be discussing this book and I had to add my 2 cents..so I hope y'all don't mind an outsider...

Anyway...
>-Are the characters well developed?

Definitely. This book was so real to me, and I think that alot of young girls with the Winter Santiaga mentality definitely need to read this so they can see the various consequences...I wish I could have read this book when I was younger.

>--Do you think Midnight is a believable character?

Yes, because there are a lot of people (like Midnight) in the game and they really don't want to be there, so in the meantime they plot, plan and stay as low as possible (even though he had an acura).

>--What was your favorite scene/quote from the book?

Well, this wasn't my favorite scene, but I think it was the deepest most f*&?! up scene when Winter slid drugs under the door to give to her mom---that had to be the coldest...

OVERALL...To me, the book seemed like a lesson in self-value/respect. It showed how all of those material things were temporary and that you should never try to equate your SELF with things money can buy...not an even exchange.

ALSO...for people that didn't like Winter's character, etc...I mean, can you blame her way of thinking --if that was the only life she knew? From day one, her father loaded her up with diamonds, etc. So, how can she even recognize whats REALLY best for her right away? Its sad, but it is a reality for a lot of people out there. So, I guess the book could have been a lesson to parents as well.

ALSO
>--One of the most interesting things in the book for me
>is how the Santiaga family played the victim role.

I didn't think of them as being or playing the victim role. I just thought it clearly showed the consequences of the fast life. I didn't feel sorry for them----cause and effect---well, i did feel sorry for the children who had to go through things because their parents were not living right.

>NEXT YEAR?

I'm not sure what has been read so far, but I would suggest
-Kindred, by Octavia Butler
-Baby of the Family by Tina Ansa

Peace and Blessings

20328, GUY BOOKS
Posted by nappiness, Tue Nov-14-00 07:56 AM
can someone suggest some fiction guy books. fiction books that men are into.
we will continue to alternate months fiction-nonfiction.
as of now the authors that have been suggested are:
octavia butler
tina ansa
ralph ellison
t.d. jake
dubois
jill nelson
cornell west
bell hooks
Please continue to make suggestions.
thanx
--------sig-----------