Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: whose REALLY to blame?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20182&mesg_id=20197
20197, RE: whose REALLY to blame?
Posted by k_orr, Thu Nov-16-00 05:22 AM

> True, but you still have
>to choose to get the
>gun, and choose to have
>the mindset that you have
>to shoot somebody to get
>that object.

How much of what you do each day is your decision, or is it decided for you? Ie how free are you really? But I agree with your previous post, I'm just trying to throw in some of the reasoning I've heard before. At the very least, the power in this country sets the stage and teaches the roles.

> I'm not denying this
>but Whites aren't forcing us
>to sit our
>children down in front of the
>tv umpteen hours a day
>instead of
>reading to them.

But how many of us have that kind of time to read to our children? How many of us know what our children should be learning when they go to they schools? Even if we just look at "they" curriculum, how do we as parents know whether or not Jamal can diagram a sentence, and what real recourse do we have if Jamal can't, but Salima can? Parent involvement in a child's education is a major part of creating better students (citizens), but when the parents themselves aren't educated about education then you have problems. Many well to do African Americans are not familiar with the ins and outs of education system, I have a feeling the #'s get worse as you reduce income.

Although libraries
>aren't everywhere there are still
>enough out there that one
>can get there hands on
>some books. My parents
>were limited financially but they
>took me to the library
>and read books to me
>so I already knew how
>to read before I started
>kindergarden.

You are quite lucky. My mother is a teacher, and she taught me that many children don't have the inside look at education that I would get.

>It can be done and done
>cheap.

Financial considerations are just one aspect of education.

> There's a difference between feeling
>good and getting hooked
>on the pipe. If you
>got to feel good stick
>to weed.

I think once you fall into the trap of drinking alcohol, smoking weed, et cetera, it just becomes a matter of degree. Don't mean to offend any of you cats who indulge but still handle business. We all have vices.

>>I feel you. I think
>>2 out of 3 African
>>Americans are considered middle or
>>upper class.
>
> Two out of three? Is
>this really true? What
>income is considered middle class?
> That seems a little
>off to me.

As in too high? That's a real shame, cause I think it's closer to 4 out of 5 for white americans. I'll see what I can find though.

peace
k. orr