Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: STOP ASSOCIATING GRAFFITTI....................
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2016&mesg_id=2039
2039, RE: STOP ASSOCIATING GRAFFITTI....................
Posted by gazhalim, Mon Apr-19-04 07:58 AM
It's all word play. I know lots of artists here in the Chi, that are about 32-36 and yeah, most of them didn't listen only to hip hop, but more of the "classics." My point is is that what cats like KRS are trying to say is that hip hop is more than just the music, it's a lifestyle. And u are 100% correct when u say that it's more urban life than anything, cuz IMO, that is also hip hop. I mean, I consider cats like Bob Marley and Jimi Hendrix hip hop. Even Eric Clapton and Led Zepplin, cuz of their deep roots in the blues. But then again, that's just my dumbass...

There is nothing in our book, the Quran, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion.
Malcolm X (1925-65), U.S. Muslim leader. "Message to the Grass Roots," speech, Nov. 1963, Detroit (published in Malcolm X Speaks, ch. 1, 1965).