Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: In Conclusion...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2016&mesg_id=2034
2034, RE: In Conclusion...
Posted by gazhalim, Mon Apr-19-04 07:00 AM
I agree, and I guess what I was trying to say is that, "we," the "not-blacks," damn I'm coming up with my own new words, need to realize that the above statements are not meant to offend "us," but that they should be realized so that the proper peoples, the blacks, are acknowledged with starting hip hop. Most people debate this issue because we feel threatened that hip hop is not for us, or that we don't belong, which is totally not the issue. Black people should say that yeah, they started hip hop, cuz they did, and I don't think there is anything wrong, or superficial about that.

I too agree that History has contorted our view of how things really were. U brought up the Moors, which is very important, and another example would be how we continue to teach that Columbus "discovered" America, when in fact, he just helped us almost wipe out a race of people.

As far as the Beasties go, I still believe them to be pioneers in hip hop, not cuz they brought it to mainstream America, but because they did bring in their own unique sound, and to be honest with u, are some talented ass musicians. I really don't like them too much myself, but I give credit when credit's due...

There is nothing in our book, the Quran, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion.
Malcolm X (1925-65), U.S. Muslim leader. "Message to the Grass Roots," speech, Nov. 1963, Detroit (published in Malcolm X Speaks, ch. 1, 1965).