Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: In Conclusion...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2016&mesg_id=2033
2033, RE: In Conclusion...
Posted by guest, Mon Apr-19-04 06:48 AM
I agree with a portion of your statement. Hip-hop is universal, and its universal appeal is what makes it so prized by not only the original founders, but also corporate America, which is trying to mold it into something that the founders did not necessarily intend. The argument has greater meaning because it also goes back to deeper issues regarding the misrepresentation of people of color in "his-story". For instance so many people in the masses do not know that the first and most celestially accurate calendar was composed in Africa, as well as explorations into mathematics which spread to the Arabian region, and was passed down via the Moors who then elightened the Europeans. Not to mention astronomy, cosmology, philosophy, archeticture and so many other sciences and areas of study. The bottom line is that we cannot allow the individuals with the most money and influence to make up a false composition regarding hip-hop or the events of the past. I believe that the past helps us to understand ourselves in the present and plan for the future. It may seem like a trivial issue, however I believe that if more of the youth were taught the truth about ancient events that there understanding of the world would transcend concrete blocks, fashion, and so many other mundane and truly insignificant distractions to the most important aspect of our purpose, which is Re-union with the Most. Peace to you brotha. Hetep.

The Past is before one, the future behind one.-Maori belief