Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectIn Conclusion...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2016&mesg_id=2032
2032, In Conclusion...
Posted by gazhalim, Mon Apr-19-04 06:18 AM
I don't see what the argument is here... Of course blacks PRIMARILY started hip-hop, there is no denying that. If one admits to that premise, that does not mean that hip hop is meant for blacks only, all it says is that when hip hop originated, it was originated by a bunch of cats, of which most were blacks. I myself am Pakistani, but grew to love hip hop, cuz it helped me realize what my black and latino friends, or their elders, were going through when I was growing up in the streets of Pakistan. Hip hop has universal messages in it, which allowed a F.O.B immigrant like me to come to terms with issues kids deal with growing up here. I have never felt "left out" within the hip hop community and have largely been embraced with love and understanding amongst my peers. So what's wrong with acknowledging the truth? It's like Arabs devised Algebra and other important concepts in Mathematics. That does not mean that only they can use Math. Just my two cents from an "outsider" to this debate.

There is nothing in our book, the Quran, that teaches us to suffer peacefully. Our religion teaches us to be intelligent. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. That's a good religion.
Malcolm X (1925-65), U.S. Muslim leader. "Message to the Grass Roots," speech, Nov. 1963, Detroit (published in Malcolm X Speaks, ch. 1, 1965).