Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Blacks acting white
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20119
20119, RE: Blacks acting white
Posted by Shimmy, Fri Nov-17-00 02:50 PM
Once again I'm jumpin in...
Both of you make such wonderful points....

I agree the basic tenets of feminism are to free all woman from oppression. The majority of feminist activity in the 60's and 70's was done by middle class white women--probably cos they were at an economic position in history to get away with being upstarts.

But they do not OWN the concept! As much as black women may have wanted to create their own voice--so have lesbian women, religious women, senior citizens etc. I believe the ideals behind feminism are strong enough to support all interpretations--and its up to the individual to define it! I mean I am not active in Feminist circles simply for the constant need for CONSENSUS-- as an Aries anarchist--that drove me nuts! But I still incorporate the precepts into my daily life.

Personally I have found after years of activism--that NO group can manage to represent my politics! I have evolved into a state where I can appreciate many schools of thought--for many different reasons. I think its a diverse perspective.

It unfortunate Q that you feel frustrated--or that you are met with anger.I certainly don't see that happening here..but rather an attempt have a shared understanding.If you feel that people have assumptions about your position---I can tell you I've felt the same in many cases on this board.

But I still keep coming back--tossing the concepts around in my head. I appreciate your thoughts!

Shimmy

Shimmy

"There's only two things worth talking about in life, and that's sex and death. So let's talk about death."
--William S. Burroughs