Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Blacks acting white
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20114
20114, RE: Blacks acting white
Posted by cued, Wed Nov-15-00 05:56 AM
Rudegrrl,

Thank you for responding in such an eloquent manner.

First of all, I would like to say that if you are interested in understanding the ways in which European culture indoctrinate other Europeans and "cultural others" into its system, please find a book called _Yurugu_ by Marimba Ani. It is very hard to get the language down because it is told from an African-centered perspective, one that does not imagine Africans as the victims, but looks at European culture in such a way that if you do not _see_ through European culture, I will be utterly shocked.

The reason why I suggest this to you is because you honestly said that you are doing the best you know how to do. However, even feminism is inculcated with European mindsets as it doesn't seem to recognize that they are talking about _white_ men instead of _all_ men, which is what, through their language, they are getting at... There is a problem with the ideology of "universalizm" -- particularly because it stems from an European cultural set that seeks, through the fake ideology of "universality", to dominate other cultures by making them think it is wrong to fight against what is "just" when it is them who made up what is and isn't, in fact, "just" -- which does not cohere with non-European peoples.

Now, I say this in the nicest way possible, but simply exposing your children to music by different artists is not going to "save" them against developing European, anti-non-European mindsets. Why? Because they are going to go out into a world of white/European people who teach each other (alongside people of color) what it is to be "white." Because of this, all of your best intentions will be thwarted unless you can reach them early and _not_ teach them this "color blind" rhetoric because what it assumes is that everyone is "like white/European" people. (Through a simple deconstruction: Being "color blind" means being "blind" to color... white people are "without color" therefore thinking of people as color blind means thinking of people as being white.) It is better, I think, to teach your young children that there are different cultures out there and that they all should be respected -- not looked upon as "others".

I am not "mad" at the little wiggers. I only think it should be properly understood. Why should I think they are "down" when I know what either is going to or could happen in a year or two? Why should I... congratulate them? So they can, later in life, say how they aren't racist because they listen_ed_ to DMX? I just want my people to stay strong and to see _through_ that bulls***. I don't want them thinking more of these people than they should. And, in the end, if that makes me angry/mad -- then that is certainly what I will be.

See, what I would _like_ to happen is that when people who aren't _of_ (as opposed to from) Black culture start getting in on our stuff that they really _feel_ it instead of just "colonizing" it in the same manner of their ancestors -- who, I'm sure, believed they were innocently just getting free labor. I would like for them to be able to connect our music, our art form, with the people, the culture from which it comes. I want something deeper than using Mommy's money to buy the latest hip-hop fashions and cds and gear. Is that too much to ask? if it is, I'm sorry... because it _has_ to be asked. . .

Q