Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Blacks acting white
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20113
20113, RE: Blacks acting white
Posted by guest, Tue Nov-14-00 09:23 PM
Well said. And I think this is a great topic that has promoted a great conversation that needs to be had. And I respect your answer.

Your'e right. As a white woman, I do not walk in your skin...and I do play with your toys and then get to enjoy the privilages of my whiteness...and that would piss me off if I were you. Seriously......

But, I will say this....I have been an activist for many causes in my day but feminism is the only one I can lay claim to being an expert on....and I find in the hard core feminist movement there is a hesistance to include men on many issues.....including abortion rights because men don't need abortions and therefore should not be included in the struggle...but I tend to differ. Any human right is a human issue...and intrinsictly in need of all humans to take part. So I do believe that the only way to bring any progressive movement to any society is to stay pure to the cause but to also reach out to as many others who will help promote the cause to begin with. Very political of me but also a very pragmatic approach. (hence why I voted for Gore in stead of Nader)

That said......I note your point about the generational issues and I think that is the most important and has the most meaning for me. I have lived long enough to see the civil rights movement (as a child) and lived in the deep south where "black music" was music for blacks. I, on the other hand, am raising two wonderful children who couldn't tell you the difference between black or white music...and that is partly cuz I raise them right and partly because of the trend in the mainstream towards a blend of hip hop, rock, jazz...etc. They like what they like.

I don't think all the M&M clones are anything to get worked over.....they are obnoxious and yes...they will eventually get thier MBAs and become part of the mainstream.......and it's a good thing they arestill too young to vote. But maybe, just maybe, one of them, through taking flack at school for the way they act or dress, will understand the prejudice that occurs and it doesn't hurt to have a middle class white boy supporting the right cause.

Maybe I'm naiive, and it's the best I can be. I can't be you and I can't know what it is to be you.......but I'm trying, and I'm behind you....can you appreciate me for that?

Peace to you