Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Blacks acting white
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20112
20112, RE: Blacks acting white
Posted by cued, Mon Nov-13-00 07:50 AM
RudeGrrrl,

I would be proud were it not for a couple of things:

1) How is this newfound love of Black people helping to overthrow the chains of oppression that have held African-American AND African, HELL, ALL NON-EUROPEAN PEOPLE?

2) There are more than one way to skin a rabbit. Like rock and roll and jazz, it is only a matter of time before hip hop (yes, I'ma gonna say it) is appropriated by the dominany culture (READ: WHITE) and they are going to tell us that it is there's (look at Eminem who is getting mad famous on the backs of Dr. Dre -- who couldn't understand the roots of what he is doing with our art form if you held him down and _force fed_ it into his pouty mouth! Growing up "hard" ain't the same as growing up "Black" -- never forget that!)

3) Our art forms are an expression of our spiritual selves. Now, our art form is interesting, but are we, the people whose spirits are being displayed through this art form, being seen as interested? In other words, is Tupac's name a household word like Brittany Spears or Christina Aqui-who-cares?

4) I would rather my people be lynched because physical representations of oppression and hatred are easier to recognize and confront than those inflicted against our soul.

So... this is why I can't be proud. Unless these little white boys and girls are learning about us as a people and effectively becoming anti-racist, learning to be resposible for their skin privilege and use it in ways to overthrow the oppression of people of color _WITHIN HIS COMMUNITY_ (not our's because we already know what's going on... no preaching to the choir please!)... then I will continue to regard it was a mix of disgust and annoyance because... they get to play with our stuff and when they get enough, they can go back to the 'burbs and play the game again -- unchanged by the very soulful, spiritual art we are making... because to them... it's all a game... and fun... and hip, even. It isn't real life.

Q