Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI did
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20100
20100, I did
Posted by Nettrice, Mon Oct-30-00 10:57 AM
I stated above:

I do think that whites emulating the slang (dress/style) or ebonics of Blacks is the same as Black people assimilating to fit into WASP culture. The only difference is that Black people are not the power base of this country and we (Black youth) are trying to define ourselves within the oppressive society we live in. Why emulate that? Instead of being down whites often trivialize & generalize Black culture even further by acting like Blacks (being superficial).

Some Black people often assimilate to move up the ladder at the workplace or the attempt to diminish being a threat to the establishment or they think being "black" is limiting. This is a little different from white people trying to be down just to belong. For each race there are different reasons. The trick it to be able to code switch without betraying one's true identity.

"Know thyself"

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"