Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Ben Stiller's Joke
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20091
20091, RE: Ben Stiller's Joke
Posted by cued, Mon Nov-13-00 07:32 AM
<<I do think that whites emulating the slang or ebonics of Blacks is the same as Black people assimilating to fit into WASP culture. The only difference is that Black people are not the power base of this country and we (Black youth) are trying to define ourselves within the oppressive society we live in.>>

I see the difference differently. See, when whites emulate the "language" of the oppressed class, they can always fall back on being able to speak "standard" English. However, when my family, friends, etc can't rely on that. Therefore, I see it as a stab -- because it only signifies the sharp division between being valued and devalued in our culture.

Not only as Black people not the power base, we are a people who are inmates in a cell called America. We were brought here, then we were told we were free only to then made it be made clear how, although free, we were not equal and the history of the United States has gone into making sure none of us thought we were... even those assimulated Black folks are still niggers in white people's minds -- whether they say it or not -- behavior speaks louder than words.

As for defining ourselves... I am not sure we can. See, in trying to define ourselves, often, it takes us farther from ourselves and who we are. We start to forget those values we were taught at home -- how we were taught to relate to each other and even other people... I know that in my house, my parents forgot to tell me that white people do not think of me as "equal". Hmm... I think this should be another topic... this identity thang of us youngin's. But for the record, I have started defining myself by reaching back instead of trying to reach forward (thinking of time as a line of progress is European thought -- our African ancestors knew that all time was intricately locked -- to know today, you have to remember yesterday ... and out of yesterday lies the hope for tomorrow) -- in reaching back, I have remembered -- not discovered because he was always there -- that boy who left his small town in South Carolina...

Man, in remembering him, I have found a whole chunk of peace.

Q