Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I don't think this is about 'stealing'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20077
20077, RE: I don't think this is about 'stealing'
Posted by guest, Fri Nov-17-00 11:31 AM
I couldn't have said it better had I tried. I think that the focus shouldn't even necessarily be how whites make the so called black culture look derogatory because there are enough numbskulls of color already doing a well enough job. I sat and watched in disgust, a taping of the MTV awards and cringed as Nelly paraded his ignorant ass across the stage with his pants hanging off of his waste. Now I sat and said, with the help of the media making Afrikans look like complete nincompoops (sic), why would he go out of his way to make himself and us (because this man of color in the so called limelight is in the position to represent all of us as a culture) look like a clown. Now maybe behaving like an incompetent shmoe is the shit in some areas of the country but in Philly (because I can't speak for anywhere else) it is called misrepresenting yourself and as Saul Williams says wasting the power you possess to persuade in a positive manner. Now my nephew is watching the crud that is played on MTV (Mind-wasting Television) and BET (Buffoon Entertainment Television) and had I not been working overtime trying to guide him in the right direction he might look at that and be like, "I'd like to be a famous person someday. I guess I have to parade around like Lil' Wayne or Nelly does in a klownsoot in order to sell records." I see shorties immitate the stereotypical images they see all of the time. Question. Are there white people responsible for supporting these images as well? Hell yeah. I can't count on two hands the amount of non-black people I know who think they are more accepted by blacks when they talk "black" or dress "black" or walk "black", etc. For example, the person who addresses my mom as "girlfriend" to gain acceptance. Come on, be serious. Does that say anything for everybody as a group? No it doesn't. Nonetheless it does happen. Nor do I believe that everyone in the Afrikan Diaspora will all speak intelligently and listen to "conscious" music. But it would be dope if those who did perform and listen to such music would encourage others to do so as well. Maybe then we could take a step toward changing the images on MTV and BET and in magazines that trendy people will continue to immulate. I need to go and do what I get paid to do. Peace, Power, and Life

-espeynomortalmancantestme.ivc

"I throw a molotof coctail at the precinct. You know how we think. Organize the hood under I-Ching banners. Red, black, & Green instead of gang bandanas. FBI be spyin' on us through the radio antennas." -DPz (Damn! Let's get liberated y'all!)

"The same hypocrites screaming 'pro life and marriages' are using religion to justify their savageness. How bad is this? You and The Creator need a mediator. Your priest is human. Your relationship with God is greater..."-Talib Kweli