Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Whites "acting" Black
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20071
20071, RE: Whites "acting" Black
Posted by Shimmy, Sun Oct-29-00 09:19 AM
Last night I went to this wicked drum performance.This guy makes all his own percussion instruments--which includes pieces that I would describe as " sound sculptures".You walked into the studio space and you are surrounded by interactive art--encouraged to become part of the performance. They played sitar--a variety of stringed instruments, even using industrial tubing to create eery sound effects.

Tonight I might go to a hip show

Tomorrow I might check out some Reggae

Then on Tuesday, maybe some good old one-two-fuck-you punk rock.

My point is--very few of us exist in a limited cultural environment.We are exposed to all sorts of influences--some good, others not.
I would venture the guys in the mall represent a portion of humanity that has not made good use of their exposure to culture.
These people exist everywhere--and come in EVERY skin colour.(I mean they are hanging out at the mall fer cryin out loud.The soul sucking hell of modern man!).If ya wanna get picky I would venture alot of the current hip hop fashion styles came from what a lot of "white" skaters were wearing in the eighties....who cares really?

We really are a global village--and it doesn't have to be about "stealing", but more about sharing, respecting and celebrating!!!

If people are going to merely follow the latest trend--well I think they lack vision and character--and are not worth my energy.

Shimmy