Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I understand what you're saying here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20061
20061, RE: I understand what you're saying here
Posted by cued, Fri Nov-10-00 09:34 AM
I don't mean to sound reductionist, but, man, that is what everyone is talking about. All of this "Universal Love" stuff is bullshit. Whenever Black people try to buy into that, we always end up one of two thing -- if not both: dead or subjugated.

I am _glad_ we are filtering out everything that is not in and of our culture because the longer we allow European/white values to dictate who we are, the more we _HELP_ our oppression.

So, you can listen to hip-hop all you want. You can get all offended because you are white and we are like, "Um, what does he think he's doing?" But see, as long as you are acting like that, you are just another white boy who thinks we are cool, but when push comes to shove, you will display that European cultural push which says that you have every right to be in our shit -- just because you are you.

If I am coming off offended, it's because I am. I am not going to sit here and act as if you are all cool and down because you want everyone to just get along. Why should people of African descent, hell, anyone of non-European descent give into that bull*beep*? We need to be able to define ourselves again, find ourselves again, remember who we are, and be able to determine that without being told by someone who is outside of our culture that you are miffed because we don't need your input.

See, the thing about our music is that it reflects something that you wouldn't be able to understand. It isn't about the clothes, it isn't about the "look", it is about an approach to art that is in direct opposition to that of white people where it is all about the individual. Art for African people is communal. It is about getting everyone involved -- not simply in the end product, but in the making of the moment itself. This is something that has its roots in our upbringing which has its roots in the Motherland.

So, before you get yourself in here talking about that which you don't understand, telling us that we are wrong to talk about white people who are _in_ our art form -- chill and just listen. If you feel bad or offended, good. It isn't _meant_ for you anyway, but if you like it, cool, and if you are sincere about your "interest" in the "cultural other" then that should manifest itself as being quiet about things you can know nothing about... since the experience is something that goes beyond and outside your sphere of cultural understanding.

*snaps*

Cue