Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I understand what you're saying here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20060
20060, RE: I understand what you're saying here
Posted by guest, Sat Oct-28-00 04:20 PM
My question is just that why can't everybody just be "down" with everybody? I don't think that Hip-Hop owes me anything, I just enjoy the culture. I don't stereotype, and I'd much rather listen to The Roots and Talib Kweli than Ja Rule or DMX. But why does the separation exist between the music and those who enjoy it? White folks need to stop pretending that they're Black because they know a few songs and slang words, PLUS Black folks need to stop trying to filter out everyone but themselves from the culture. Why can't it just be a culture for all? And if it were, obviously it would have the same guidelines as most other cultures in that the people must RESPECT it to be involved with it. These are just my feelings about the issue, so feel free to oppose me if your feelings go down other avenues, ya know? Peace, Love, and SOUL!!!
-B

sigs:
------------------------------
"It's deep soul, deep church, spiritual roots and deep jazz... I just go as far as I can inside and I bring it out. The thing the church showed me was conviction. DMX rhymes with conviction. Soul is honesty." Bilal, on his music.

"Bilal WILL be an Okayartist!!" -me

Bilal has been on:
*Common's LWFC
*The Love & Basketball Soundtrack
*Guru's Jazzmatazz III: Street Soul
Coming in February: The Album!!!!
If you haven't yet, check him out!!!

"to aim
is to take oneself too seriously
by focusing without instead of within

re arrange and re member

aim...i am