Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI understand what you're saying here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20052&mesg_id=20059
20059, I understand what you're saying here
Posted by Dove, Sat Oct-28-00 04:04 PM
and a lot of the caucasion kids who emulate black people ARE emulating a stereotype. Not every black person I know wears baggy jeans. In fact, I know a LOT of people who think it looks sloppy. I also know an amazing amount of black people who do not adhere to using slang to express themselves. Each individual person has their own style - so if you are emulating a 'color' you're stereotyping.
I don't know where ya been - but being 'down' has been 'popular' ever since 86' or so - bout the time the Beastie Boys came out. Gave lotsa white boys a reason to think that Hip Hop owed them something because they adopted a certain style of dressing.
There are a lot more pale folks who have learned about the culture of Hip Hop, realizing that it's much bigger than the music or acting like a rap star (who's probably putting on an act themselves).... but the people who have taken time to learn and respect the culture are few and far between. You still have lotsa white kids who think that because they learn some slang they are 'down'.
Just take each person for what they stand for. Get to know them. Stereotypes are ugly - from either side.

Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

lions sing and the hills take flight
the moon by day, and the sun by night
blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool
let the lord(-ess) of chaos rule.. - robert jordan

*thank you AH!*

"If I'm not feelin ya, playa - my face is gonna show it" - GURU