Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWell...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19846&mesg_id=19865
19865, Well...
Posted by Rozjack, Fri Dec-29-00 08:23 PM
I applaud you for trying to expand your knowledge. I'm assuming that this is your first attempt at seriously studying the vast Pan African subject. If that is the case, then I wouldn't recommend starting with Cornel West. His books require prior knowledge on the subject--meaning they are not introductory books. Maybe you should start out with something like "From Slavery to Freedom" by John Hope Franklin. That was the first book I read when I began my quest for knowledge of Black history. Although I've been studying for about 8 years, I still have to break out the dictionary when reading West and others like him. So, maybe it's not the big words that he uses, but the complexity of the subject.

And for the other people who down West And Gates for being graduates from Ivy League schools, that's just plain bullshit. Does that make them less of an authority on the subject? They are giving back to the Black community by writing books, making documentaries and speaking in public places. What more do you want them to do? There is not just one way to spread the knowledge and give back to the community. Whether you come the the hood or make a film about Africa is not what matters. What matters is that you spread the knowledge.

***D'...AUG 4TH...FRONT ROW CENTER...SHEAR HEAVEN...I'M IN LOVE!!!***

Rozjack's Top 10 Songwriters:
10) Teena Marie
9) R. Kelly
8) Babyface
7) Jill Scott (yep that fast)
6) Erykah Badu
5) Marvin Gaye/Stevie Wonder
4) Lauryn Hill
3) Maxwell
2) Sade
1) D'ANGELO *Who else did you think?

"This world done changed since I been conscious."
-Erykah Badu

"Now keep in mind that I'm an artist and I'm sensitive about my shit."
--Erykah Badu

"Hi. My name is Rozjack and I'm a Voodooholic."
--me

"Music. It's in me."
--me

Jill Scott: The Voice of Today's Black Woman
--me

"...I support the rappers. They say what needs to be said... cuz somebody needs to call a muthafucka a muthafucka..."
--Nikki Giovanni @ Tavis Smiley's Advocacy in the New Millennium Conference