Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: BILL GATES DONATION?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19577&mesg_id=19582
19582, RE: BILL GATES DONATION?
Posted by ChocoLaTee, Mon Jan-08-01 10:41 AM
>It's sad how people constantly try
>to villify Microsoft. I
>hear now there is a
>racial discrimination lawsuit going around
>(hell, every major corporation gets
>em, so its no big
>news).

That's an easy position to take when you're not the one being discriminated against. You probably wouldn't say this if you had to go to a hostile work environment everyday.

As much has
>Gates and Microsoft have donated
>to schools and youth organizations,
>this all seems pretty stupid.

Under this theory, we should just be yes-men and yes-women. The big corporation has paid us off, so we should shut our mouths and be happy despite any future injustice.

> Thanks to leftists, we
>are about to go into
>recession, thanks to Microsoft's breakup.

I think we agree here. I don't want Microsoft to break up either. But they should be held accountable for any discrimination.

I like Bill Gates because of the scholarships he set up for minority students that will be distributed through the UNCF. However, a race discrimination suit is not stupid. To say that is unfair to the employees that were discriminated against. Courtland Milloy, a BET News commentator and Washington Post reporter, wrote an article in the Washington Post(1/7/01)describing how most in Microsoft agree that Bill Gates is a racially sensitive man, but the company itself does not share this sensitivity. It then went to list several other organizations that have given millions to minority groups only to discriminate against the same groups later on. The premise of the article was that if these "racially sensitive" corporations can't get it right, then is there any hope? However, letting corporations, even Microsoft, off the hook for discrimination is not the answer.