Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: put up or shutup (redux)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19501&mesg_id=19560
19560, RE: put up or shutup (redux)
Posted by guest, Thu Dec-21-00 12:20 PM
okay, peace

The ideas about community clean-ups are peace, and the library idea is even better (cuz then we can all contribute no matter where we live, what our political affiliation, and we won't have to generate tons of $$$). One idea I wanted to add to it, would be to start some sort of OkayVolunteer corp. All it takes to form one is a handful of people (really not even that, cuz you could still represent solo). Nothing super-technical,just a service-based group, and we can volunteer at Youth Centers and elderly homes, empoverished communities to do whatever we can. It can be like a network where the players in their respective cities meet at appointed times to set up what we/they will do, when, and where. It doesn't have to be limited to children and the elderly, I mean, we could participate in building homes with Habitat (for Humanity--not sure if it's a national org or not--do yall have HFHumanity in your cities?), or just taking some neighborhood kids to the museum (they're free), or start a small mentoring program. There's lots of stuff we can all do that doesn't have to be expensive, or political, or infringe on the any member of the collective's personal rights/beliefs. The volunteer corp will take organization (for each city/area), but the library *which is a real peace idea* is something that can be done NOW. I like that one too. ps...I also like the idea posted earlier about some sort of unifying motto--something that unites us all no matter what we represent. How about:

okayplayer. bringing you the true_______since 2000.

Hey, it was a joke.
peace
nappyhead

"tell me what you gon' do to get free? WE NEED MORE THAN EMCEES, WE NEED HUEYS AND REVOLUTIONARIES..." M1