Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Elders, Youth, Saul Williams and Black Revolution
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19463&mesg_id=19477
19477, RE: Elders, Youth, Saul Williams and Black Revolution
Posted by Ailyha, Tue Jan-23-01 01:42 PM
First I would like to say, that Saul was out of line b/c it almost seems like he really did disrespect Amiri. That's like telling a mother how to raise a child and you never had one. Amiri and some other folks who were active in the Civil Rights Movement and the Black Arts Movement have been there and burned the t-shirt. Those people have experienced things that we can't even fathom. Racism and discrimination are still here but it's on another level that was present in the 60s and 70s and I think we should value the information they pass down on us. It's cute and all to think we should deal on human issues but we got to deal with the real, which is color is the first thing anybody sees and there is a social stigma on their that is never going to go away b/c around every corner there is history. History cannot be destroyed if it's in our hearts, souls, books, in our society, on our tv.
>
>I say all of that to
>raise several questions...
>1)Are Black artists obligated to a
>Black movement or a Human
>movement?
There is no obligation, it is a reality. We are living it and experiencing on a daily basis in big doses.

>2)Should the Elders step out of
>leadership positions they've been holding
>since the 60-70's and let
>younger blood with new ideas
>take riegns.

Leadership only goes out with death. The young blood should listen and take notes like its a course that is required for graduation.

>3)Was Saul wrong?(Based on the limited
>info i gave you)
Yeah, he was...I explained that above. It's almost like a young child going into adulthood who's "smelling himself"...that's a down south term. email me if you want to know what it mean.

>4)Is it wrong to point out
>the mistakes of the elders?
Did they make any mistakes b/c we are here and living it because of them. Regardless if there were mistakes made, we should reflect on the positive that was done and look for the deeper meaning at what their trying to say.

>
>5)How can Hip-Hop generation continue to
>make progressive change?
We have to understand who we are and where we come from. Respect our elders b/c there's a lesson in everything.
Educate, elevate, and reciprocate!!!!

Peace
A

Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous. - quote from Good Hair by Benilde Little

"Everybody's got issues, every-stinkin'-body"

WHen you look in my eyes, what do you see?

You like it, I love it... my advice to anyone who asks me for it and not willing to make that change.

2001, i'm really going to let my hair grow out...I guess i need something else to do with it.

During my year long plight of abstinence, my mind is clear and i'm horny as hell!

May 2001 Socialight Roadtrip to New York. We need OkayTourGuides! Email me!!