Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI Samuel 18 & 20
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19344&mesg_id=19361
19361, I Samuel 18 & 20
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Dec-13-00 07:50 AM
1 Samuel 18

1 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking unto Saul, that the soul of
Jonathan was knit with the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul.
2 And Saul took him that day, and would let him go no more home to his father's house.
3 Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.
4 And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his
garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.

1 Samuel 20

1 And David fled from Naioth in Ramah, and came and said before Jonathan, What have I
done? what is mine iniquity? and what is my sin before thy father, that he seeketh my life?
2 And he said unto him, God forbid; thou shalt not die: behold, my father will do nothing either
great or small, but that he will shew it me: and why should my father hide this thing from me? it
is not so.
3 And David sware moreover, and said, Thy father certainly knoweth that I have found grace in
thine eyes; and he saith, Let not Jonathan know this, lest he be grieved: but truly as the LORD
liveth, and as thy soul liveth, there is but a step between me and death.
4 Then said Jonathan unto David, Whatsoever thy soul desireth, I will even do it for thee.

16 So Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying, Let the LORD even require it
at the hand of David's enemies.
17 And Jonathan caused David to swear again, because he loved him: for he loved him as he
loved his own soul.

30 Then Saul's anger was kindled against Jonathan, and he said unto him, Thou son of the
perverse rebellious woman, do not I know that thou hast chosen the son of Jesse to thine own
confusion, and unto the confusion of thy mother's nakedness?
31 For as long as the son of Jesse liveth upon the ground, thou shalt not be established, nor thy
kingdom. Wherefore now send and fetch him unto me, for he shall surely die.

42 And Jonathan said to David, Go in peace, forasmuch as we have sworn both of us in the
name of the LORD, saying, The LORD be between me and thee, and between my seed and
thy seed for ever. And he arose and departed: and Jonathan went into the city.