Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Female Genital Mutilation
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19134&mesg_id=19176
19176, RE: Female Genital Mutilation
Posted by guest, Sun Jan-14-01 05:46 AM
My mom had it done to her. My mom's mom had it done to her. They have no "emotional scars" and they are two of the most wonderful and loving women you would ever meet.

My point - WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

At times I read the stuff on these boards and I shake my head. I don't know you but I think you need to get off that high horse you're on! How dare you seat in your home and criticize what's happening thousands of miles away if you don't have any FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE about it? That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard and that kind of thinking is really prevalent on these boards.

You mofos need to wake up and deal with YOUR own problems and stop looking for other people to help. Who died and made you the crusader for the ban on "female genital mutilation"?

Please note, I am not saying I endorse the act. My beef is with the subtle message that YOUR standards are the standards everyone should go by! Mind you, you get most of these standards from people who are out to make a buck or benefit by having you think a certain way! And those standards change all the time.

An example is the cool image associatd with smoking. Many kids grow up believing (at least in Finland, can't speak for anywhere else) that smoking is cool. So they smoke. Enough of them do it so it becomes like a right of passage to adulthood. Basically, it becomes like a standard. Does that make it any less harmful than "female genital mutilation"? And in the case of these kids, someone makes a buck of selling them these harmful lifestyle as well.

My point is don't sit and judge others just cause you can't or won't make the effort to understand them. It's that kind of thinking that starts wars!

Out,
Naijaboy.