Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMake it plain
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19134&mesg_id=19174
19174, Make it plain
Posted by guest, Sat Jan-13-01 02:10 PM
To answer all these howling Koalahaters the only comparison that Im making is between two cultures- ours (American) and theirs (whoever they might be). When considering female genital mutialition and what we come to know as circumcision- I dont feel there is any comparison that needs to be made as both terms can be applied to either procedure (check the definition).

I raise these issues not as a charge to disregard the attrocity as presented but to put it in a more reasonable context- to diffuse it of several demeaning characterizations that are being made or at least to demonstrate how those characterizations can made of our culture as well. You are not expected to agree to the characterization when it comes hurling back at your culture -it is only meant to show just how effective it might be to call someone a barbarian or a nazi in order to get them to change their customs- in the end if you are not compelled to make changes then I submit that you truly understand them.

I dont "compare" or contrast male and female genital mutilation cuz as I see it they fall under the more unilateral term child genital mutilation - which is what i feel is the absolute threat. It would be like me comparing apple picking to cherry picking- or belaboring the point that each procedure is different; what difference does it make when one accepts the idea that picking the fruit itself is an unconscienable act.

When it comes down to comparing the barbarism of these two cultures I am dismayed to see my people so eager to cast a negative light on a culture that you have little or no information about. You say- look at what they do - I say - we do it too - you say NO WE DONT- its not the same - perhaps its worse

make it plain

Not so fast Uncle Sam- the cultures in question may admittedly have this one infraction- but to call them barbarians would defy the fact that this nation claims the same infraction on so many levels that the idea that it claims itself civilized is Outrageous not to mention derisive. To site male circumcision is to say the least- are not women in this nation compelled to mutilate and undermine the integrity of their bodies? Do they not implant man made tumors into their breasts? Are not men in this nation compelled to sever their penises and women to reform their labia into phaluses by a severely deranged social gender order? Are not young girls encouraged to injest medications that have been proven damaging to the reproductive system? Are not viruses formed to strike at the very core of reproductive interaction?

i digress

With so little information about the reality of these other cultures it seems to me the most we can do is rally behind a lame sense that our moral objection is somehow indicative of a culture that doesnt do this, but do you really believe we dont? Maybe its enough for you to object to this on the grounds that somebody does it differently (or "worse")- but are you really convinced that the same pain doesnt lurk here? Is it civilized that we have anesthesia to dull that pain, or media to celebrate its more fashionable results? Are we to be deemed civilized as the weak willed, weakminded, oppressed, utterly saddened or even willful men and women among us are encouraged to partake in it?

It seems to me that while our civilization has provided us many distractions and objections to such traditions it has replaced them with many many more damaging ones. One such distraction is to object not just to the act itself (as that alone would surely find us guilty as well) but to the very character of those who commit them in such a ghastly manner- despite the fact that we dont know and arent really willing to learn that much about them. We used to call them the HUN.

again i digress

You may want them to stop what they're doing- but I wanted to warn you of what you may be doing to them.

The reality is just as solmariposa and solarista suggest it. While there is great value in redemption for these women- we shouldnt necessarily endorse the likes of the UN and the US who would "morally" object to it even though we do so individually and personally. I assure you their cultures have brought far more sickness and victimization to the world than the ones in question ever could- even in the same category. The true solution is at least compassion- not only for the women who fall victim but even for those who are devoted to the tradition (not necessarily the nazis that theyve been made out to be). Unless you're willing to believe that these are devoted and reverent people as opposed to innately depraved savages- you will never teach them, or even see to it that they are taught.

Above all I challenge the accusation that these are barbarians especially if this accusation is provided by the beast.

K