Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe problem is...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19134&mesg_id=19171
19171, the problem is...
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Jan-12-01 01:45 PM
I'm not the most educated person on this subject, but I have attended three lectures on it, and read several scholarly articles (journals).

The problem with the concept of the women putting a stop to it is as follows: too often, the women don't count. They have no way to stop it... because in the culture they are just bodies, nothing more. If they resist mutilation for themselves or their children, they are put through various forms of intense torture themselves.

In many cultures, the initiation consists of much more than genital mutilation. Initiations often include slashes of the skin with various knives/razors...

Certainly, there are a few cultures where the women are tolerant of it, possibly supporting it. While there is a fine line between unwanted deculturization (not a word, I know, but I couldn't think of the word I wanted) and human rights, I have no doubt that this is a severe human rights issue. But seeing how I'm somewhat opposed to the UN anyway, I wouldn't say that's the best method of resolving the issue. Instead, certain activist groups (imo) are more powerful and a bit more logical in their approach...
-thebigfunk