Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMy point from the start
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19134&mesg_id=19144
19144, My point from the start
Posted by guest, Fri Jan-12-01 02:00 PM
Was that even though this custom is extreme- we dont have very sustainable grounds on which to impede them or make comments regarding barbarism and being uncivilized. The point was- if we are to make such characterizations then we might not be so innocent ourselves.

This point is carried out by the fact that in this thread we have yet to see particular details (what country this in for instance- what tribe) that would verify the very disparaging remarks that are being made about people and traditions that they hold very dear. Solarus asked for details on this- he got NOTHING. So basically I have to preside by a more general, reasonable and even conclusion: For some of these people these practices are maintained as they see fit- and they are very much entitled to that.

Like I said- Im sorry that it happens- but we cant expect for everyone's customs to meet our liking- we certainly cant parade like the moral vanguard of social development- we just dont have it in our capacity.

Somebody posted a while ago about rhetorical ethics- this is exactly that. I could come on here and say- THATS OUTRAGEOUS - but look at the information that we've been given so far; I would be commenting on nothing but the empty notion that these women are being brutalized despite any actual evidence much less a defense on behalf of the accused. That may be how you'd like to seek out justice- but dont call it fair.

I bring up male circumcision not because its the same- but because it is in a similar context and even though we admit its not necessary and can agree that it hurts it still happens but we justify it. The difference is our situation is here and this situation is somewhere that has yet to be determined- you can disapprove of it if ya want but so far its ethnocentricity veiled in a highly unqualified sense of justice.

If you want to be outraged - shed tears but there are plenty of people that deserve sympathy and compassion- if youd like to waste your time quantifying who deserves more or less be my guest. Dont be disappointed in me if I dont play along.

If you want to talk about it - we just did.

If you want to do something - the least you could do is tell us where it is happening.

K