Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectHUGE difference btwn male & female circumcision
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19134&mesg_id=19141
19141, HUGE difference btwn male & female circumcision
Posted by nahymsa, Fri Jan-12-01 08:40 AM
Male circumcision can not be compared to female circumcision..not in the least. The are not equivalent procedure, they don't have equivalent results, and they are not performed with equivalent goals in mind. While both have an impact, the impacts are VERY different.

Male circumcision removes part of the foreskin of the penis. While I don't doubt that this causes some pain when performed, nor do I doubt that this causes a loss in sexual enjoyment...the pain & that loss are relatively minor (extremely) in comparison to what happens when a female is circumcised. To equate the two is simply isn't accurate.

Male circumcision was originally performed to encourage less infections by buildup under the foreskin - by removing it. Nowadays, we know how to properly clean a penis, the practice doesn't have to exist, people do it more for religious/aesthetic purposes. If I had a son, I wouldn't want to circumsize him. That being said, I could circumsize my infant son and be assured that 1) its rare that men LOSE the ability to perform sexually without pain because of circumcision. 2) its rare for male children to die due to cicumscision. 3) its rare that sexual gratification CAN'T be achieved because of male circumcision. 4) the procedure is performed on babies rather than preteen children. The risks/problems/suffering associated with male circumcison, while they exist, are far less severe. There are health risks associated with giving a child a measels shot or piercing their ears too but you wouldn't compare those decisions in parenting to giving a child chemo therapy or cutting of their ear for decoration.

We have to be realistic in this conversation.

Female circumcision includes the removal of the clitoris which is mostly responsible for female sexual stimulation & gratification. It often includes the removal of the labia, minor & major, and infibulation where they scrape the vulva & join the remaining sides of the vagina together with suctures leaving a small opening for urine & menstruation. Complications are pelvic infections, genital malformation, delayed menstration, intense pain, ripping & bleeding during sex, and a bunch of obstetric complications including risk of damage to a baby trying to get thru the tiny opening.

Male circumsision & female circumsision do not compare. A better analogy would be penisdectomy where the entire penis is removed.

That