Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecta resounding yes...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=19012&mesg_id=19065
19065, a resounding yes...
Posted by LexM, Fri Jan-26-01 09:00 AM
>Does racism affect "whites" ?

I think it does, in a sense. (disclaimer: Yes, I am aware of the argument of this being impossible because they are the "oppressor" class vs. the "oppressed" but for the sake of simplicity...)

Anyway, I think it's negative for them because it can trickle down to an individual level, causing people of color to see them as oppressive and negative human beings, even if they are not.

Poor whites really catch it. They are often assumed to be better off just because they're white no matter what their economic status.

In addition, this "white privilege" allows them to live in a state of perpetual ignorance to the plight of peoples unlike themselves. I was watching Mad City last night, and a woman speaking to John Travolta's character said, "well, how do you feel about people in Russia who's situation is much worse than yours?" Too many Americans (of all colors)are unwilling to take responsibility for the poverty and misery in their backyards. Attitudes like this, it seems to me, are especially prominent in the white middle class; they'd die to save Tibet, but look right through the homeless guy downtown.

That's just the tip of the iceberg. But bottom line: yeah they'd benefit. They'd probably LEARN something.

L.

GO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I <3 Freestyle!!

"some(t(hing) -o) m(o(t(ivate) -he) ) -ind t(o never stop) -hinkin' and c(reating) (-ause) -reat(i(on) -s) l(ife and)ife is reproduced th(rough) fresh (-houghts) -hat c(ome, when you let ) -reativity find you.." ~~Giovanni

"I'm from the land where a man who calls himself Jesus and drives a stolen car" ~~SayNoGo

"What cements us/is just as important as what prevents us/from being attentive/Cause the spiritual divide causes us all to collide/ in a manner that’s most intensive" ~~WordMosaic

"how can she sing/holy songs/'bout baby jesus/and mary/and not come/and save me from choking/on sweet youth mixed with mildew/that keeps clinging to my memories/cause this ain't the first time/grandma forget to save me and/my momma forgot to save me.../just always said "jesus wants you to save your flowers"/but my jesus forgot to save me too" ~~beyond_levels