Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Thurgood Marshall
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18935&mesg_id=18968
18968, RE: Thurgood Marshall
Posted by guest, Wed Jan-17-01 01:22 PM
>
>>What do you mean "beyond redemption"?
>
>Some cats are just evil. Point
>blank.
i know what your getting at but this isn't the movies, the bad guy isn't always automatically known so who decides which cats are just pure evil and what makes them so sure. And when sickness, mental illness, mental retardation come into play whose to make the decision.

>Hence, that's why it doesn't work
>in a literal sense.
>In our society we only
>have 2 options, imprisonment and
>death.

this is because society limits itself to these two options. Of course there are more effective processes than imprisonment and death but none are as lucrative or deliberate as the system we have in place now.

>>so where has the punishment came
>>into play? and What
>>if the criminal wants to
>>die...is it still punishment.
>
>Yes. What the criminal wants,
>and what society wants are
>two different things.

I get your point but you mean the majority of society right?

>That's not what I'm getting at.
> Do you even believe
>in the institution of prison?

in theory yes. the realities of prison however are far from what they "should" be. What other alternative is presented tho? I'm not saying that i beleive you shouldn't be punished if you do wrong...i'm just not agreeing with the processes that it presents, the defects that it carries and overlooks, or the ramifications that it tends to have on us as a culture.I do however recognize the need for one.

>
>>Sure we make the rules.
>>A select few make the
>>rules and often in undermining
>>ways.
>
>In our system you can always
>change something. It wasn't
>too long ago when the
>death penalty was illegal.
>It wasn't too long ago
>when legal segregation was in
>effect. I don't know
>why you subscribe to powerlessness,
>when that is clearly not
>the case in America.

I do not subscribe to powerlessness in any form. but I do not beleive that the death penalty (or my support for it) would exemplify my powerfullness. Does the individual in everyday America make rules? Hell no, not outside of our own homes. People do as a society. I know that much. But I also know that everything isn't peaches and cream when it comes to the lawmaking process or even more specifically the prison system. Yea segregation was legal and hundreds apon hundreds of people had to die, suffer, and fight to change that. Just as with everything else.

My argument with the death penalty is, if it wasn't so subjective, so plagued with horrible mistakes, and countless error laiden rulings, I could stand it more so than I do now.

Yes I beleive that killing is wrong, no matter who does it. But I can't fathom killing someone whose innocent. So if there's no way to full proof the system, why shouldn't it be disregarded and another alternative put in its place.

and as for natural law...i'm referring to the natural law of God.
You wanna read debates on it...there's an entire book dedicated to it....the Bible.

If you dare not to struggle, then you dare not win.
-Fred Hampton

http://nativemagazine.com
Are you a native?
I am.