Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecthow so?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18935&mesg_id=18954
18954, how so?
Posted by LexM, Tue Feb-06-01 08:49 AM
> And through participation and
>membership in this society, I
>give my fellow citizens power
>over my life.

I am a part of this society, and as such, I have to follow certain rules/laws/what have u. But if there is anything that has the power of life/death over me, it is some higher force (then possibly, my parents). Everyone else be damned. Still, I recognize that my opinion is a direct result of my belief in a higher power, so I don't expect you to agree. We can agree to disagree on that level.

But scratch all that for a second...All other things being equal, if you're willing say American society has power over your life and you're not rich, White, heterosexual, and male, you're not playing w/ a full deck. Sorry.

>Do we as a society want
>our fellows to be able
>to take our lives is
>the wrong question though.

do you mean in a vigilante sense or in a legal sense (i.e. the death penalty). to me, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference, but you may draw your lines differently.

L.

PURPLE REIGN!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are no atheists in foxholes" (c) Any Given Sunday

I <3 Freestyle!!

"And for once, I want to live for the stars that came before me/And for the ones/That will never have the opportunity…to connect" ~~presyzion

"if and when blind, you will hear/drops of water reflecting off your skin/
the subtle bounces magnified into drum pounding/gateway splitting, roaring and consuming, yet soothing/echos of your losses" ~~jesmar

"and my own fears now/are not that i’ll die without money or land/but that i’ll die without this pen in my hand/and god bless this man, as i speak spoken words/cuz i may die broke/but i’ll be broke and heard." ~~RatpackSlim

"how can she sing/holy songs/'bout baby jesus/and mary/and not come/and save me from choking/on sweet youth mixed with mildew/that keeps clinging to my memories/cause this ain't the first time/grandma forget to save me and/my momma forgot to save me.../just always said "jesus wants you to save your flowers"/but my jesus forgot to save me too" ~~beyond_levels