Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Death Penalty?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18935&mesg_id=18939
18939, RE: Death Penalty?
Posted by wolfie, Wed Jan-10-01 07:59 AM
We were actualy just talking about this in English class 'cause we are reading MEASURE FOR MEASURE, and how the character Angelo believes in the Old Testement view of retaliation (hadrian's code: eye for eye tooth for tooth) and how the character Isabella believes in the New Testement teaching of "hate the sin, love the sinner", so that's how we got into the whole discussion, but whatever.

So, I think that if someone is killed for commiting murder it is not solving anything. It's almost as if it's letting the criminal taking the easy way out. Like the Oklahoma City Bomber, he is appealing to the President to move him up on death row. But isn't that just ending his suffering? I personaly think that it is worse to live until you die in isolation and have to think everday about what you did and all the people you killed and hurt. HOwever, I agree that it isn't as simple as that, each murder has a different scenario and must be delt with in a different way, so there can't be a standard.

And to the guy who said that judges shouldn't have to make the decision, my mom's a judge... they don't like it etiher.

"If I had a penny for every thought, I'd have 3 pennies!!" ~SHU
~WOLFIE~