Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectlemme break this down
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18918
18918, lemme break this down
Posted by LexM, Tue Feb-06-01 09:13 AM
>i think alot of things rappers
>say are racist towards whites.
>like mos def, com, and
>black thoughtless. some of it's
>funny some of it's true,
>some of it sucks, yet
>i still dig on their
>shit.

Racist? Or true? I haven't heard any one of them call a White person a honky or an ofay; I haven't heard them say shit like "White men can't jump" or "why can't y'all dance?". I have not heard them generalize or in other ways stereotype White people in what I construe to be a "racist" context.

What I *have* heard them state are historical facts, (what appear to be) personal experiences, and the state of Black men in American society. I have all (or most) of the cds by each of those artists, so we can go line for line if you want.

It always amazes me how White people want to cry racism when Black folks start speaking the goddamn truth.

Now this I'll give u:

>i live in atlanta,
>and every saturday outside of
>the MARTA 5-points train station,
>there are what i like
>to call the Black Power
>Rangers. i call them that
>because they are all militant
>as fuck and there is
>a red one, a green
>one, a blue one, and
>even a pink one. i
>am not lying. they say
>some pretty outrageous shit, and
>alot of it is really
>disturbing and hateful, yet nobody
>is shutting them down or
>up. i realise it is
>freedom of speech and that's
>fine. but if anyone retaliated
>and even spoke up against
>it, there would be a
>bloodbath.

Bloodbath? I think not. But I know exactly what you mean and they hang out in downtown Baltimore too. I don't agree with their rhetoric or their attitude. Basically, I feel like we're all here on this Earth together, and we all need to learn how to get along. But part of that is acknowledging and respecting our differences & our histories. *ALL OF US* have ugliness in our pasts. You're right. But just like some Black people romanticise or glorify their history, you seem to be unwilling to live up to the dark spots in your own (if you are, in fact, a White American. Or even European).

>dont give me the 400 years
>of oppresion mantra. EVERYONE has
>suffered. Jews, Christians, Native Americans,
>Robots.......

that's fucked up.

L.

PURPLE REIGN!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There are no atheists in foxholes" (c) Any Given Sunday

I <3 Freestyle!!

"And for once, I want to live for the stars that came before me/And for the ones/That will never have the opportunity…to connect" ~~presyzion

"if and when blind, you will hear/drops of water reflecting off your skin/
the subtle bounces magnified into drum pounding/gateway splitting, roaring and consuming, yet soothing/echos of your losses" ~~jesmar

"and my own fears now/are not that i’ll die without money or land/but that i’ll die without this pen in my hand/and god bless this man, as i speak spoken words/cuz i may die broke/but i’ll be broke and heard." ~~RatpackSlim

"how can she sing/holy songs/'bout baby jesus/and mary/and not come/and save me from choking/on sweet youth mixed with mildew/that keeps clinging to my memories/cause this ain't the first time/grandma forget to save me and/my momma forgot to save me.../just always said "jesus wants you to save your flowers"/but my jesus forgot to save me too" ~~beyond_levels