Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthings i do
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18912
18912, things i do
Posted by guest, Tue Feb-06-01 09:26 AM
i'm sure k orr will have other suggestions as well but here are a few things that i do in no particular order.

i recognize that i get preferential treatment based on my skin color so i watch closely to be sure that i'm not served before it's my turn in stores and restaurants, etc., and i make sure that service providers understand that i _don't_ appreciate unfair treatment whether it's in my favor or not

i try to educate myself about these issues and to allow others to educate me about their experiences

i acknowledge that a least a part of my income is due to privilege that i didn't ask for but received anyway so i donate money to organizations that are working to change that and to aid people of color who haven't had the kind of automatic privileges that i have. i also give money to my college and instruct them to use it exclusively for scholarships for people of color and to programs like Head Start that provide a foundation for people so that later they'll be prepared to go to college. i try to give enough money away so that i _feel_ it -- not just money i wouldn't miss. i'm smart, but there are plenty of smart people out there who didn't get the same kinds of advantages that i did and my advantages are deeply based in racism. i grew up in a relatively affluent neighborhood with really good schools because my father was white and so was hired and promoted over equally smart people of color. i recognize that even though i didn't _ask_ to be raised in privilege, i received a direct benefit from that -- my intelligence was recognized and fostered and i was encouraged to keep studying and go to college. and i want to be sure that everyone who has something to add to the community has the necessary means to make their contribution.

i never ever let anyone make a statement or tell a joke or cut their eyes or otherwise do anything that is racist or divisive without calling them on it and talking through the issue. i try to do this in a way that they can hear but i also don't let anything slide. i've done it with taxi drivers and i've done it with presidents of corporations who are clients and i've done it with people that i work for. my point is that i think it's my responsibility to go out on a limb and endanger my job if necessary in order to do what's right

i vote in favor of measures that move toward levelling the playing field, including tax measures that raise my taxes in order to promote social programs

i actively work with my employer to hire and promote people who have been disadvantaged, particularly those who have been disadvantaged economically based on their race. there's a program that we're involved in because i made a big issue out of it that trains people in word processing, and places them in what is sometimes their first office job. the program emphasizes training for single mothers and in this city that often means young women of color

i don't take anything for granted. i realize that if society has granted me privilege it has done so by stripping others of basic human rights

and i keep looking for ways to make a difference. the more that people are safe and happy and well fed and given appropriate opportunities the better my world is