Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectNumber one...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18907
18907, Number one...
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Feb-07-01 04:30 AM
First off... I'm white-skinned... I mean, I'm about as pale as pure snow. You were under the impression I was otherwise, so I thought I'd clear that up.

Now onto the discussion...

>i disagree. AA does less for
>blacks than you think. look
>at it this way, why
>would you want someone to
>feel pity for you? are
>you not insulted that this
>is a system that is
>basically communicating the idea that
>you can't do it on
>your own?

If everything were perfectly honestly fair, all prejudices set aside and all people given equal opportunity, then you'd be right. Affirmative Action would be insulting.

But as long as we still have unfair standardized tests, unequal school districts and a system that favors whites over blacks, Affirmative Action is the only current tool to bridge that huge gap. There's an article right now in the Boston Review... most of the article I disagree (it says we should move away from Affirmative Action and focus purely on test and prerequisite overhauls)... but it makes several very stunning points about the way tests have excluded minorities from higher education, easily - even though it is proven that there is no correlation between a youth's SAT scores and first year performance. In fact, youths with HIGHER SAT scores at ivy league schools tended to do poorly.

But that's not paid attention to. Instead, standardized tests and high school gpa are looked at as a good portion of the battery for which you are accepted... which easily wipes out a good portion of minorities, due to unequal school systems.

>it says "here,
>take this. we have so
>much power that we need
>to give you sometinhg that
>you cant get through your
>own worth, talent or hard
>work"

See above. It has nothing to do with one's own talent... it has everything to do with where they're raised, how they're raised and the amount of money in their family. No joke. Explain to me why the average family income rises for every 100 point increase on that SATs...

>do you know what
>i'm saying? making any sense?
>it's an ultimately fucked up
>and absurd system and i'm
>surprised that someone as intelligent
>and as rational sounding as
>yourself buys it.

I haven't "bought" anything. I used to think AA was unnecessary... but as a soon-to-be teacher (and a person looking to get their masters in education), I started to read more about minorities and the school system (i'm planning to work at an inner-city school). As I started to read the statistics, I was absolutely floored. Then, as you begin to read how AA has finally started to level the playing field - damn, it becomes impossible to refute AA as being a worthwhile program.

>>These are the things you need
>>to think about as you
>>walk in your white skin.
>
>
>that's kind of a shitty thing
>to say. it's a bit
>condescending. i'm not stupid. i
>feel like you are assuming
>that i live in a
>blissful fantasy world of whiteness
>and walk around with my
>chest puffed with pride in
>a Lynard Skynard t-shirt.

However it came off, I certainly didn't mean it that way. This discussion started with a question from you about "racist" attitudes from blacks to whites. Obviously, it's broadened a bit - now it's looking at the white role in a conscious society. The comment above was not meant to be sarcastic or bitter, it was simply stating something. "These are things you need to think about..." Didn't mean it condescendingly, and I apologize for however it came across.

>what can i do
>about? right. absolutely nothing.

That's where you're wrong, and I'm coming to terms with this myself. There ARE things you can do, some specifically linked to your white skin. In another post, somebody wrote about influencing white areas where blacks would never be given a chance to explain their position.

You can get involved, actively. There are all sorts of groups out there, a lot of them sponsored right here in the activist forum. I'm currently working on a local letter writing campaign in my area to stop the state from passing a mandatory pledge of allegiance in high schools law - I started the campaign with a friend. We've sent over 200 letters to the state legislature... granted, that's not a lot... but for something I'm fitting into my spare time (which is a rare delicacy on my table of things to do), I'd say 200 is a pretty good number.

>

> Why dont you tell
>me how to "think and
>act on that". draw me
>up a plan that wont
>make me look and feel
>like an absolute sucker and
>maybe i'll consider it. maybe
>that's the idea, i dont
>know. but if that's the
>case how much, in a
>global sense, needs to be
>reversed to make you satisfied?
>at what point will you
>say, "that's it."

You've got a good point... is there a drawing mark? Yes and no. Unfortunately, history is inexorable, and I believe America's history will forever hold deep racial implicationsfor the country. Always. And if by chance it WERE to change, and stuff were peachy... I'm kind of doubting that we'd suddenly be in a utopia globally.

So I can't lay down a stopping point. Nor can I draw you a plan of action. I can say this: educate yourself. Read endlessly... also, broach conversations with your friends. Even if they're perspectives are empty, at least it allows you to view popular opinion and question it actively - leading to progress on your end.

Also, recognize that we ought not to be merely concerned with race in America. This goes beyond country borders, and involves third world countries, and the overall concept of whiteness in global society. Educate yourself on global economics, and globalism in general.

And then, like I said earlier, get involved. If you are truly that touched by what's going on inside your head, consider making a career out of it. I've chosen to minor in African American Studies... I'm actually considering double majoring (ugh, another year added to undergraduate school? blah! :) ). Maybe even get involved in politics. But don't just sit at home thinking about these things - act on them, with others. Not only does it have a positive effect, it is remarkably fulfilling.

Feel free to email me with anything... you'll get a faster answer that way...

-thebigfunk