Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYou tell me......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18906
18906, You tell me......
Posted by guest, Mon Feb-05-01 12:53 AM

>Affirmative Action is a way to
>begin to repeal inherited power
>due to whiteness. And
>that's a GOOD thing.

i disagree. AA does less for blacks than you think. look at it this way, why would you want someone to feel pity for you? are you not insulted that this is a system that is basically communicating the idea that you can't do it on your own? it says "here, take this. we have so much power that we need to give you sometinhg that you cant get through your own worth, talent or hard work" do you know what i'm saying? making any sense? it's an ultimately fucked up and absurd system and i'm surprised that someone as intelligent and as rational sounding as yourself buys it.

i'm sorry, but i just think it's a fucked up situation that doesnt help anyone. If i honestly believed that AA was an effective aid in reconciling staus quo, then it would have all of my support, trust me, speaking for myself, the last thing i want to do is to prevent you or anybody else from attaining thier dreams and revelling in thier freedoms.

>These are the things you need
>to think about as you
>walk in your white skin.

that's kind of a shitty thing to say. it's a bit condescending. i'm not stupid. i feel like you are assuming that i live in a blissful fantasy world of whiteness and walk around with my chest puffed with pride in a Lynard Skynard t-shirt. i think about these things everyday mind you. i live in downtown atlanta and cant open my mouth with out some guy deriding my "nasal flow". what can i do about? right. absolutely nothing.

> Even though whites make
>up very little of the
>global population, they hold all
>the power, with no real
>reason. You're a beneficiary
>of this fact... think and
>act on that.

Why dont you tell me how to "think and act on that". draw me up a plan that wont make me look and feel like an absolute sucker and maybe i'll consider it. maybe that's the idea, i dont know. but if that's the case how much, in a global sense, needs to be reversed to make you satisfied? at what point will you say, "that's it."

answer me this. what have you honestly been pevented from doing. how much accountability are you willing to accept on behalf of yourself?

(i'm really not trying to light fires or staqrt controversies. i just yearn for unconventional perspectives on subjects like these. please dont interpret the tone of the above words as flippant or sarcastic)