Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectbut you still reap the benefits
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18905
18905, but you still reap the benefits
Posted by thebigfunk, Fri Feb-02-01 01:32 PM
For instance, let's take affirmative action.

For how long were blacks excluded from certain jobs, or even more importantly, education?

Affirmative action simply ensures that if anyone is excluded from an education, it's gonna be you (and that's a real extreme way of wording/think about it).

This makes no difference, because you can turn around and - with your credentials AND whiteness - get that same education elsewhere.

That's why I laughed at the article in The New Yorker a month or so ago about Affirmative Action and UofMichigan. The girl who got turned away, who claimed it was affirmative action that bumped her out, was able to go and get in at Michigan State, a good school in its own right.

Affirmative Action is a way to begin to repeal inherited power due to whiteness. And that's a GOOD thing.

These are the things you need to think about as you walk in your white skin. Even though whites make up very little of the global population, they hold all the power, with no real reason. You're a beneficiary of this fact... think and act on that.

(By the way, it's early for me... this post may be incoherent... I apologize if that's the case)

-thebigfunk