Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Denny's, Shoney's, Texaco, Sodexho-Marriott...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=18859&mesg_id=18902
18902, RE: Denny's, Shoney's, Texaco, Sodexho-Marriott...
Posted by guest, Thu Feb-01-01 03:04 PM
>......so does that mean by being
>white, am i automatically obligated
>to endure the blame and
>hate that someone puts on
>me individually? i hate sounding
>dumb, but i realy cant
>be responsible for what my
>ancestors might have done.

Is anyone putting hate on you individually? I thought I understood you to say that you were distressed by anti-white statements, not anti-Chirp statements. I'm saying that to the extent that you are upset by these statements you may be able to gain some greater (if not complete) understanding of what it is like to be subject to race-related abuse. And look at how dismayed you are by it despite the fact that it's unusual. What must it be like to live in a society that always and automatically assumes the worst about a person, that always and automatically treats a person poorly, that always and automatically disregards that person, just because of the color of skin that they're wrapped in?

In order for harmony to be achieved I think we all need to have greater understanding for one another's viewpoints. I don't think that putting down any race is productive, and I'm not saying that doing so is right. I'm just saying that it is understandable in the situation that you describe.

i
>think it's foolish that i
>am even associated with thier
>actions. honestly, how am supposed
>to even compensate?

There have been some threads recently, notably bluetiger's thread on "whites" giving up privilege, in which this is discussed.

where does
>it start? i will not
>let somebody blame me for
>where thier life is at. >it cant even be direct.
>it gets rediculous. i'm really
>trying to be objective here.
>i am by no means
>condoning of what ever happened,
>but i fail to see
>where i should "shoulder" someones
>anger. it really makes no
>logical sense. anything that happened
>between the race 300 years
>ago is irrelevant, mostly, to
>where you and i are
>today.

What I'm saying is that the racism that occurs today has its roots and history but it happens _today_ and that's the point. So the historical perspective can give you greater understanding but I am not personally an advocate of trying sons for the sins of the fathers. What I'm saying is that you (and I don't mean this as a personal attack, so please don't take it that way) have been imbued by society with a degree of privilege that you may or may not be consciously aware of. Becoming conscious of this is the first step toward understanding and harmony. By granting one group privilege, society has stripped other groups of basic humanity.

i dont know maybe
>it does. but when does
>the compensation end. how many
>eye for eyes do there
>have to be in order
>to attain a balance. i'm
>sorry i 'm not making
>sense.

I think you are speaking from your heart and I think I hear you struggling for understanding and I appreciate that very much.

There are plenty of people on these boards who would disagree with me, because I'm advocating understanding and harmony. There are many people who effectively argue for complete separatism. I don't think that's a solution, and perhaps these views aren't going to get expressed on this thread, but I actually expect a fair amount of backlash against me, based on what I've seen happen here before, because I believe and say that people can ultimately live in harmony.